Inevitable encounter

Start from the beginning

Short track speed skating was never merely a test of speed— it was a sport that pitted one's wits and skills against others as well.

......

Taehyung pounced down the podium like a majestic little tiger. He saw Jungkook waving at him from the stands behind the boards and headed over. He raised his head and looked at the ravenette. The audience was seated at a much higher level. Separated by the boards, Jungkook leaned over and stretched his hand out to rub Kim's head.

Taehyung grinned. He removed his newly-obtained gold medal and wanted to put it on for Jungkook. However, as he could not reach it, he tossed the gold medal upwards and Jungkook caught it firmly.

As Taehyung still had another competition to go, he turned and left. Jungkook held the gold medal and walked back to his seat. On his way back, he lowered his head and kissed the medal.

This scene was captured by a reporter at the venue. The reporter uploaded the photo online eagerly and it soon spread. Numerous netizens were abuzz discussing the photo. Some squealed over the sweetness in excitement while others ate the 'dog food' with amused looks. A portion of the people blasted them for putting on a show and being disgusting while another group continued criticizing Jungkook's poor results.

Then, oddly, Jungkook's head rub, medal kiss, and display of affection— despite being not related to sports— became the highlight of the Province Winter Games. To think of it, this was not surprising. Winter sports were a niche interest with little attention. Even when combined, the public awareness of all of the athletes involved was not as high as the attention that Jungkook got.

Jungkook could not understand the netizens' mentality at all. He continued to be in poor condition with lackluster results. Naturally, he should have been disregarded by the public but there was still much attention to his every gesture. Just how idle were the masses?

He told his confusion to Manager Ok. Manager Ok slapped his thighs. "Please go back and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. Attractive people do not have the right to live a low-profile life. No one in the whole country would agree to that."

Jungkook: = =

Manager Ok did not have the heart to tell Jungkook that though he was now the most hated ice hockey player in the entire country, he was also the most valuable one... Well, the club did not know whether they should cry or laugh either.

——

In a wink, it was December and Jungkook could finally take a breather. He temporarily bade farewell to the Silk Road League to prepare for the World University Winter Games in January. This was decided at the beginning of the Silk Road League. However, when it was announced, netizens once, once again began their mockery and accused him of having no guts and fleeing from the problem. His fans and haters clashed vigorously in Weibo's comments section.

A netizen posted an interesting comment: So what if my Ice God is shit? My Ice God's wife is willing to dote on him, what can you do about it?

Torn between laughter and tears, Jungkook liked this comment surreptitiously.

Since the second half of November, Taehyung participated in a total of three short-track speed skating competitions in the championship held across various cities in South Korea. Not only so, but he also ended up qualifying for the Seoul 500 meters event. Seoul was the last and most important leg of the championship. Gathered there were the top athletes in the country.

It was the highest level of competition that Taehyung had ever participated in so far.

Hyoseop specially made his way down to Seoul to cheer his son on.

Jungkook also went down to the competition venue as a self-declared family member.

And that was how the two of them met in the spectators' stands.

Jungkook did not want to sit next to Hyoseop, primarily because he was afraid that Principal Kim would suddenly take off his shoe and start hitting him.

However, he did not dare to show any hints of rebuff on his face. Thus, he risked his life and sat down next to his father-in-law.

These days, Hyoseop would always hear someone scolding Jungkook. As Jungkook's condition only started deteriorating after he swept him out of the house, Hyoseop began to feel somewhat guilty towards Jungkook, both consciously and subconsciously.

Furthermore, his wife would nag into his ear all day long. She would go on about how it wasn't easy for that child and how Taehyung managed to deplete his bank account until there were only six won and five cents left. Just who do think is bullying whom... After listening to her for a long while, he began to acknowledge Jungkook.

At present, Hyoseop glanced at Jungkook several times, hoping that Jungkook would get his intention. Let's ceasefire and come to a truce.

Jungkook failed to decipher anything. He did not dare to engage Hyoseop in a conversation and merely uttered some conventional greetings before keeping quiet. He sat obediently in his seat and stared straight ahead without turning.

The atmosphere was slightly awkward.

Hyoseop was suddenly filled with a sense of responsibility as an elder to take the initiative to ease the tension. After all, he was the one who struck Jungkook first.

How should he show his goodwill in a polite and friendly manner without seeming overly enthusiastic to improve their relationship?

Principal Kim rubbed his head and suddenly thought of Jungkook's nickname in school.

Got it.

Thus, in a reserved and somewhat cordial tone, Hyoseop addressed him, "Green Ice"

Jungkook, "..."