Race of the Lotus - Part I

Start from the beginning

"Welcome, suitors," Arawn said, bringing my attention to the platform hovering above us. His youthful smile and optimistic appearance were like a graceful spark in the dark. It made me feel a little less alone in my quest.

Arawn had helped me through the interview back when the audience had asked me about my fight with Raeewh. Even now, amid this chaos, his voice felt oddly reassuring, as if he knew he'd be there for me this time as well.

"I'm sure you have all been hungrily awaiting this moment, imagining what kind of challenges this trial will contain, but your wait is now over," Arawn continued, raising his hands to signal the reveal of a board hidden beneath a red veil. "It's time for you to compete for the remaining four spots in the Crown Trials!"

The audience erupted in cheer and applause once more, but unlike the other suitors, who seemed to revel in the spotlight and wave to their admirers, I kept my eyes glued to the board, studying every feature, every dent, and every corner.

It was a map of twigs and symbols depicting four separate tracks side by side. They all looked different, as Evie had claimed they would be. Only the beginning and the end of the tracks contained the same symbols and the same shapes, but what puzzled me was the black boxes placed on each track.

"As you have probably noticed, each track is different and suited to challenge your element," Arawn said, stating my thoughts as if he'd read them. "Once our crown prince drops the flag of the Lotus, the race will begin, and the gates will open, but first, let's quickly summarize the individual tracks."

A replica of the map appeared on the screen, visible to the spectators.

"This is a simplification of the tracks that we showed in Yesterday's Royal Review. The suitors have not yet seen their respective tracks and will only be shown this simplified version to ensure that no one can predict or account for the obstacles ahead. This map will also be displayed to the suitors exclusively at this moment before the beginning of the trial. Once they enter the dome in front of them, they will no longer be able to see us, although they'll remain visible to us."

We hadn't yet entered the dome, so we were still visible to everyone, including Caiden and his family, who remained on the golden balcony behind Arawn's platform. It felt like all eyes were on me, and even though I knew that wasn't the case, my mind couldn't stop worrying about every move I made.

It took everything I had not to bring my freshly polished nails to my teeth and butcher the poor things.

That map would be the only representation of our surroundings once we entered the dome, and we would have to memorize it by heart in the few minutes we had left. No one could do that.

"Prince Atlas!" Arawn called and turned toward the golden balcony. "Will you do the honor of explaining the rules to these anticipating suitors?"

"Gladly, Arawn."

The sound of Caiden's voice made my jaws tense. My lips felt dry, and my chest suddenly felt too tight for my heart.

Today would be one of the last times I saw him. Next time could be when Piper stood beside him as the victor of this competition — if Alia and I managed to beat our opponents.

"The rules for this trial are quite simple. The first suitors to each reach their respective lotus will continue to stay part of the Crown Trials and compete for the crown as Heliac's next queen," Caiden said, leaning on the railing for everyone to see him. "Use of powers and weapons are allowed and encouraged, but if any attempt on the life of a fellow suitor is detected, the accused will be disqualified immediately and put on trial."