A Dragon's Breath

A vile, sour taste unfurled in my mouth.

I spat out the wine, but the foul taste lingered and matured on my tongue. A dry sensation spread throughout my mouth, unmasking notes of soil and yeast in a revolting combination.

"Are you okay, Will?" Calla asked, gently placing her glass on the table as if she hadn't just filled her mouth with poison.

I reached for the jug of water in the middle of the table and filled the glass. It was tempting to drink directly from the jug, but a lady probably wouldn't do that.

The cool, refreshing liquid flooded my tongue, but the sour tang in my mouth persisted even after chugging the entire glass.

"What did you give me, Piper?" I asked, filling my glass with water again.

Piper looked at me as if I was mad. "I told you: sparkling wine."

"That is positively foul," I said, sliding the tall glass away from me. "Beverages are meant to quench my thirst, not make it worse."

Calla chuckled and leaned back in her chair. "I guess it's an acquired taste."

"I suppose the first time tasting sparkling wine may be a bit unpleasant if you're not used to the distinct flavor of alcohol," Piper added, shrugging as if that little detail hadn't been worth mentioning, "but the taste grows on you after a few attempts, and then you'll be able to notice the fruits and other fragrances hidden behind the sizzle."

I frowned. "Who, in their right mind, would put themselves through that kind of a—"

I jumped in my seat as two massive flames erupted from the scene's edges by the opposite side of the dome.

"Welcome suitors and guests to a royal celebration of the Rising Sun."

Caiden's voice filled the room, and I craned my neck to see him standing in the spotlight with his family behind him.

"We have been looking forward to sharing this night of new beginnings with you, where we shall dance until the dawn and feast until the very thought of food sickens us."

Everyone around us started clapping and cheering. I followed their example.

"However, before we initiate the night, I would like to welcome the Flare Warriors, who came all the way from the Inferno Realm to demonstrate their mighty powers through a dance only performed by the strongest."

The Flare Warriors.

A unit of the strongest Fire Iridis Heliac has to offer. They were fierce and wielded their element with uncanny precision. I'd heard that their trials were brutal.

"Will you do us the honor, Elvara?" Caiden asked with a gentle nod toward a beautiful woman I hadn't seen before.

Her skin was as black as the darkest night, her hair short and curly. She was dressed in red and orange fabrics. The long sleeves were accessorized with golden rings framing her lower arms and a black leather bodice framing her well-trained torso.

Her tight pants were partly hidden by a long loin skirt hanging from her bodice. The boots were black and leathery, too. The lace wound around her calf, making the uniform appear coherent.

A ripple of unease washed down my spine when I noticed the suitor beside her.

Alia.

Did she know this flare warrior? Of course, she did. Alia was from the Ember Region, where the Flare Warriors camps were located. It wouldn't even surprise me if the Ember Academy had flare warriors teaching them.