A Hollow Kiss

I crossed my arms as if to shield myself from the imaginary winds howling outside the imitated windows.

"Will," Caiden whispered wistfully, his heat growing stronger against my back as he stepped closer.

I bit my lip. I didn't know what to say next. I didn't want to scream at him again when I was unsure if I could storm out without his help, but I needed to know.

"I hear you're finally narrowing down the pool of potential suitors," I said, my hands shaking violently in the web of my arms. This was going to hurt. "How wonderful for you."

Caiden didn't answer me, and I didn't feel him stepping closer either. Carefully, I peeked over my shoulder to see an expression of confusion sealing his lips shut.

I looked away again and approached the curtains to fiddle with the silky blue curtains. "So, who are you most attracted to? Piper, Arisu? Perhaps Alia—"

"Alia?" Caiden said, making me shift my eyes to find a confused wrinkle form across the bridge of his nose.

Of course, Alia's name had caught his attention among the suitors I'd mentioned. I snorted at the thought.

His interest in her puzzled me. She may be pretty—possibly smarter than most—but her attitude and behavior were hardly appropriate for a future golden queen. However, if he did choose her to remain by his side, it may be easier not ever wanting to see him again.

The expression of shock and surprise faded with my silence, changing into the face of realization—the face of someone who had lost all desire to justify the unspoken sin I was accusing him of.

He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed, not even allowing me the decency of a glance. "I assume Miss Weldon let her tongue slip about our date at some point yesterday."

I narrowed my eyes at him. His ignorance sometimes appalled me. It was ridiculous to think that he'd hoped information like that wouldn't be shared or used as a merciless weapon against the other envious suitors one way or the other.

"This is a competition, Caiden," I snapped. "Very few secrets remain in the private spaces of our minds. Besides, I'm sure if Piper hadn't told us, Arawn would've learned of it some other way." I forced my voice to remain calm instead of being consumed by the bitterness brewing inside me. "So... are you?"

"Am I what?" Caiden said, expelling a heavy breath as he finally met my agitated eyes.

My heart skipped nervously, but I didn't waver. "Narrowing the pool of suitors."

It wasn't my place to care whether he kissed other girls, but despite the undeniable stinging in my heart, this wasn't only about me. I hated even considering that Caiden would play with Piper and Calla's naïve hopes. However, if he were deceiving them, I planned to make sure he received my unfiltered opinion of how utterly despicable it was to play with a woman's heart like that.

"Not necessarily." He avoided my gaze again as if to hide his shame.

My body hummed to neglect the etiquette lessons and lash out like a wild animal. "Care to elaborate?"

Caiden remained silent, and I lost my patience. "Caiden, I—"

"The king demanded it," Caiden suddenly said, his voice much harsher than I'd expected. "My father happens to be worried that I am neglecting my responsibilities towards the Crown Trials in favor of refining my powers or schooling you."

My heart skipped a beat as he mentioned remarks similar to those the king and I had exchanged. "So, he demanded that you kiss Piper?" I asked, crossing my arms.