I felt ridiculous.

The room remained quiet, and I was still staring into nothing but a camera and a wall of lights. Arawn's team would have to perform another kind of magic to make this look natural.

The green light went out, and I stepped back, glad for it to be over. Heliac could still see me, which meant I couldn't slouch, but I wasn't in focus anymore. Haylee was.

The sight of Haylee presenting her metal fan blade glistening in the light made me want to crawl into a hole and stay there. She could sever any limb from my body in a heartbeat, and I'd not even notice it before my clothes would be soaked in pale blue blood.

Haylee was strong. She would probably make a great protector for Heliac, but I didn't know her as well as I'd come to know Piper. I didn't know if she could make Caiden happy.

I dug my nails into my palms but hid the pain behind the mask I'd learned to wear during situations where others could see me.

Caiden was soon to be king. The Crown Trials had been his trial to prove that he could choose a queen suited to serve Heliac and live up to all the title entails. He told me he'd chosen me, but I was no queen.

I might be able to learn to behave like a queen, but I would never be able to face the harsh realities of this World without shedding a tear. I would not be able to bear the burden of Heliac, and I would not be able to support Caiden the way I wanted him to be, but Piper could.

Besides, Tarkan would ruin me if I attempted to accept that commitment. He still had the outrageous picture of the two of us during Caiden's birthday ball.

The green light in front of me lit up again, but mine wasn't the only one.

The Crown Show was coming to an end, and we were to sign off as a final tribute to the Crown Trials.

I placed the lower part of my palms together and spread my fingers so only my pinkies and thumbs were touching. Then, like the other suitors, I bowed my head and presented the sign of our lotus before the cameras.

I'd never done it before, but Piper said it was a standard greeting in the academies. Now, we did it to show Heliac that we were willing to accept the outcome of the Trials and respect the decision of our future king.

The lights went out, and soon after, the door opened, showering us with dim light from the halls.

"The royal family awaits you in the dining area."

A familiar, lean man stood in the opening, raising a guiding hand to point us toward the dining area. I recognized him from the train back when I first arrived. He was the one who'd poked my finger and leaked my blood onto the crystal still hanging around my neck.

I hadn't met the man since. But maybe he was here because he was my escort home after tomorrow.

"Why are you still standing there?" Piper asked, grabbing my hand to drag me with her out of the gloomy room. "This might be our final days together. We should enjoy it!"

I already struggled to keep up with her. The suit gave me plenty of room to move, and it was comfortable aside from the neck, but it was my concerns that weighed down my feet.

"Piper," I said, stopping her from taking me any further. "I'm not really in the mood to celebrate or party, so I think I'll just head to my room. You should join the others and see if you can catch a conversation with Prince Atlas. He's probably been quite busy lately, so he'll likely enjoy your free-spirited company."

It still hurt to be the one to encourage her, but Caiden would come to love her eventually once I left. I mean, how could he not?

"No," Piper said, squeezing my hand. "I know you're planning to go home to your family after this trial, and I will not let you spend this last night alone. You're going to be surrounded by people who care about you, and you will be enjoying this night with me. Are we clear?"