"Caiden," I whispered, fearing his reaction if I told him honestly. "I don't—"

"Where did he touch you, Willow?" he asked again and grabbed my hand before I could pull away. "And don't lie to me because I saw him."

My heart dropped to my stomach. I'd almost forgotten that Caiden had found us mere seconds before Knox's lips had marked my neck. Caiden had seen it, and he was probably disgusted by me.

"Tell me," Caiden said again, but I shook my head.

"I— I can't, Caiden," I stuttered, fearing that my voice would betray me, but my stupid body had already given Caiden everything he needed to know.

Caiden raised his hand from the bed and let his thumb gently graze my forehead. "Here?" he asked.

I looked away, unable to detain my tears any longer. It didn't matter what I said, he already knew.

I was expecting him to storm out of the room and report me to the king, but instead, I felt something soft and warm brush against my brow. Caiden's collar smelled like freshly ground coffee with undertones of faint spices.

My entire body was paralyzed, and my mind was unsure how to react to this overwhelming sensation. Then Caiden drew back to catch my eyes.

"Tell me, Willow," he whispered, "and let me erase the memories of that bastard."

My heart was thundering. I had to remind myself to keep breathing, although this could easily still be part of a dream.

The sensible words were stuck in my throat, and Caiden didn't have the patience to wait for me. Instead, he dived his face into my neck and kissed my bare skin where Knox's lips would've marked me.

"Caiden!" I gasped, but his grip on me remained firm. My skin was burning, but the heat was pleasant. It made my heart flutter wildly, and the hairs on my body rose as every muscle in my body tensed.

My hand automatically raised to his chest, allowing me to feel his heart race almost as fast as my own. "Caiden, wait," I said again, my voice shocking me. It didn't sound like me.

His hands slid to my jaws as his lips traced the pulsing vein on my neck. "I don't want to wait anymore, Willow," he whispered, kissing the remaining tears away from my cheeks. "I can't."

I felt drunk as his breath warmed the skin on my face. A few moments more, and I would be his. A few more moments and I—

A loud knock on my door broke the spell cast upon me.

"Willow?" a familiar voice called for me.

Caiden smiled, and a disappointed chuckle left the lips that had been so close to meeting mine. I still wasn't quite sure what had happened.

"It seems like I haven't been the only one worrying about you, Aldwyn," Caiden said and pulled away from me. "I'm sure Miss Weldon has been straining herself from coming here since the dawn broke through her bedroom window."

Caiden started buttoning his shirt before retrieving his cloak from the chair. "I'll leave the two of you to talk but find me when you're ready. I'll be waiting."

I remained mute as he opened the door.

"Prince Atlas!" Piper exclaimed as she found Caiden standing before her.

"Good morning, Miss Weldon. I just came by to check on Miss Aldwyn's health, but I believe I can leave her in your care."

Piper gave a confident nod, although her gaze kept shifting back and forth between Caiden and me. Caiden recognized her impatience right away and let her pass without another word.