22: Pleasing Sight, Serene Heart

Start from the beginning

Now that was what he didn't tell people. Did he wish to be like this? Absolutely not. He couldn't say anything whenever people said to his face that he was the terrible person they ever met, or whenever he accidentally eavesdropped on a group of friends' conversation, talking about how shitty his personality was.

Even if the whole world hated him, no one despised him more than himself. Especially, after what had happened to his brother. It was his fault—at least he thought so. He should've died instead of his brother. Why didn't he die?

By some miracle, Jihyuck had slowly seen parts of him that he didn't wish anyone to see, to even be aware of.

No. She didn't know what happened. Yet the desire to heal after years finally hit him. All those therapies but nothing changed. The wound still bled and was very wet. Now, Jihyuck entered the story. And the cut hurt less.

"Treat her better," his mom's voice echoed in his head. He ran his hand through his face before he ruffled his hair. "I didn't even treat her decently."

It took everything in him to crush his ego and walked to Jaemin's room. He was wrong. He had to apologize.

When he pushed the door slowly, his eyes caught the girl hugging her knees with his face buried into them. His chest tightened.

"Ji..."

She sniffled. "I told you to stay there."

More pressure pressing his chest. A lump appeared in his throat seeing her shoulders heaved up and down.

His lips parted but nothing came out of his mouth. Why was it so heavy to apologize?

"Go. We're mad, Donghyuck. We'll say things we'll regret," she said again with her raspy voice.

"Are you—mad at me?" he fiddled with his damp fingers.

She finally lifted her face and turned around. "Am I mad at you?" she sniffled. "Listen, you begged me to come here and you scolded me? Should I be happy about that? But then again, I am the foolish one. I came here running because I was worried about you. Very ridiculous, I know. But Donghyuck, I saw the state you were in that night. At the bus stop. And I know you won't be begging me to come over if you don't actually need me," she let out.

He felt a pang of guilt. "Ji..."

She was worried. She came here to ensure that he was okay. It was too much for him to process at this moment.

"I'm s-sorry," he hung his head low, too ashamed to look at her in the eyes.

"Don't even apologize if you don't mean it," she shook her head.

"I'm genuinely sorry."

She raised her head, looking into his eyes, trying to find sincerity in them.

She shut her eyes, contemplating something for a while. She opened them again. "I'll forgive you. But we're watching Corpse Bride. Deal?"

He threw his head back. Now, the old them were back. "What's so fun about that damn corpse show?!" he grumbled.

"Bitch, aren't you seeking my forgiveness?"