14. New Connections

After work, you return to the subway station to pick up your book and catch your train home.

"Excuse me, I have come to claim a lost item..."

You give your personal information to the depot agent who hands over your book.

Delighted, you and your Pokémon then go to the platform, ready to depart.

There, you see the Subway Boss from this morning, who has changed in the meantime because his uniform is now white.

Your heart flutters as you walk closer.

"Good evening, Sir!", you greet with a cheerful smile.

His smile is as big as yours.

"Hi there! Can I help you?"

You stop short.

His tone of voice is different from this morning.

You find it stilted, and surprisingly informal.

"Hum, a-are you... the Subway Boss?"

"Yup, that's me."

"I, hum, about this morning... Thank you very much for recovering my book..."

"Ah! It's you. The Good Samaritan with a Pidove's brain who left their stuff in that car."

"P-pardon!?"

You stare at him with a hurt expression, prompting your Pokémon to move closer to comfort you.

"Oh, sorry if that came out wrong, it wasn't an insult or anything bad.", he explains with an apologetic smile. He then points at the book you are holding. "About that, I wanted to ask you--"

"Good evening, Emmet and Passenger (Name) (Surname)!", a clear voice rises.

"Hi, Ingo!", the man in white calls out.

You see the Subway Boss dressed in black coming your way.

You and your partner gape at them when they stand next to each other.

It all makes sense now!

"You are twins!", you exclaim with relief.

"Bingo.", the man in white winks. "For info, Ingo's my older brother. Didn't you know that they were Subway Bossessss in Nimbasa?", he asks, stressing on the 's' to mark the plural.

"No, I didn't! Moreover, I would have never imagined that they would be related!"

"In that case, Passenger (Name) (Surname), we owe you a proper introduction! I am the Subway Boss Ingo! I am pleased to see you again!"

"I'm Emmet. I'm a Subway Boss. Nice to meet you."

"Ah. I see. Pleasure to meet you, Sirs!"

You glance at the Subway Boss Ingo and secretly rejoice that the first impression he has left on you is unaltered. His expression remains stern, but you can tell by the look in his eyes that he is relaxed.

"By the way, thank you very much once again for your kind assistance, this morning. I've got my precious book back!", you happily show it to Ingo.

"Oh! That is wonderful news, indeed! As employees of the Nimbasa railway company, we remain at your disposal, shall you be in need of any other services on our lines!", he advises enthusiastically.

"I am sorry for the troubles I have caused to all of you.", you say, now looking at Emmet. "I will be more careful with my personal belongings, next time."

"Yeah, you should.", Emmet agrees. "You're lucky you left it on board. It probably would not be the same story if you had forgotten it somewhere else, like in a taxi or at the park. Especially if that thing is so special to you!"