Chapter One

"Are you scared?" A voice asks in the darkness. I look around, but there is no one aside from me. Only me and my dark thoughts hovering over my head. The cell, where I am held ever since wounding the Head of the Base is small with no windows, or any kind of furniture. The small rug, where I am sitting on and small toilet, divided by the small wall, are my only companions.

But the voices are never leaving me. They are all around me, their sounds ringing around me loudly, making it difficult to differentiate illusion from reality. Sometimes, images of broken Winston resurfaces in my mind, making my stomach turn, while delighted smile creeps on my lips.

"No." I whisper back to the darkness, learning not to ignore the only source of the sounds. The low hushing sounds erupt around me. The speakers are on the high corners of the walls, unreachable by me. Their sounds are constantly pouring in, asking questions that I don't have answers on.

"Why?" The voice whispers again.

Why.

I shift uncomfortably on the rug, I can feel deep, numb ache running down my spine. I nervously crack my fingers, remembering the words Selene whispered to me on the night, I first was taken here.

Two weeks ago.

I have not heard from her ever since that. She is raging in her own way and I can feel her anger channeling back to me, clinging to my body, irritating already raging powers inside of me.

"Because I have nothing to fear." I whisper the words calmly, despite having fear bumping against my ribcage. "Because, I have powers inside of me, none of you can overpower. I am stronger than all of you will ever be." I mumble words robotically. "I will squish you under me, as soon as I see the reason in it." I add in higher tone.

"Then why are not you doing it?" The voice asks again, startling me.

"Why?" I whisper the question back, tilting my head and smiling. "I don't see the point." I shrug my shoulders, lightly. I touch the wall beside me, feeling the energies rushing in m. "I am trying to prove that I am not some war machine, killing you all, will only get in the way."

The silence fills up the cell.

***

He is pacing.

Thoughts are pounding loudly against his skull, making it even more difficult to stay focused on the subject at hands. He is tired. Exhausted even, yet he knows that there is nothing that can stop him right now, considering that a life depends on his choices of words.

With Winston still unconscious and Cassie locked up in cell, he has nothing much to deliver to the Council. They were all there. They all saw what Winston did and how Cassie managed to awaken a dead Element. Yet, none of them is willing to give a girl a chance.

And to make matters even worse, Cassie has been threatening The Base non-stop in the duration of last two weeks, making it harder for him to convince the rest of the Council that she is not some uncontrollable weapon, who needs to be eliminated.

"You should calm down." The voice behind him, startles Michael. He jumps slightly, his head turning, hazel eyes clashing with deep, stormy orbs of Sebastian. The blonde has deep scowl plastered on his face, worry lacing his every line. The dark circles underneath his eyes, suggest that he has not slept for a long time. The slight tremble of the hands indicate the level of tiredness of the body.

"What are you doing here, Sebastian?" His voice is husky, deep from not being spoken for a long time. His throat feels dry, as if he spent several days in the desert with no liquid in sight. "Shouldn't you be with Council?" His voice is barely audible, coming out like a mumble.