** SIX **

"The language of friendship is not words but meanings." -
Henry David Thoreau

*****

               "JOANNE?" HIS MOTHER asked, confused. Ada seemed confused. What would Joanne be doing there she seems to know the password. But before she could ask anything or get Hamid's reply, the electronic pad beeped and then the door clicked.

Ada's mouth opened slightly when she saw Joanne stride majestically into the room after unlocking the electronic door lock that her son just installed. She wondered how she knew the password.

Joanne with a smirk on her face said, "Hamid, so you use . . ."

Hamid quickly swivelled his chair around to turn to his best friend that just walked in and he said before she could complete her sentence.

"Hello, Joanne," Hamid said with a sly smile, cutting his best friend off abruptly. His voice was louder than it was supposed to be, making the two women in the room stare at him in puzzlement. And then he gestured slightly with his head to his mother.

Joanne smiled, understanding the reason why Hamid had cut her off abruptly as he gestured with his head to his mother in a subtle way. That was when he knew his mother was in the room, staring between them like they were some kind of an enigma.

He didn't want his mother to know the password to the door.

Cool but not surprising. She thought.

"Wow, so you tell your best friend your password Uhm?" Ada asked his son with a creased brow.

Hamid didn't say anything.

"Actually Aunt, he didn't tell me. I have no idea that he had installed the lock pad. I just tried my luck." Joanne came to her best friend's rescue. Ada just exhaled, shrugging.

"Then you knew he want to install it." She exhaled. "Well, what can I say? You're his best friend. I envy you," she said to the younger lady, covering the laundry basket she will take with her downstairs so she could ask the house for help to do her son's laundry. "Not like either of you will tell me. So no need bothering to ask."

Joanne just smiled as she took further steps into the room. She went over to assist Ada with the basket she was about to carry out.

"Don't worry dear. It's fine." Ada politely declined Joanne's offer. "How are you?" She asked with sincere concern.

Nodding and smiling softly at the woman, Joanne replied, "I'm fine aunt. Good morning ma." She greeted.

Ada returned the smile at the same time, dropping the basket in her hand and then she pulled her for a short embrace, "Good morning sweetheart." She gave her an air kiss on the side of her face before she pulled away. "How are your parents?"

"They are fine, aunt," she replied.

"That's good. How's your mom? It's been a while since she came over to the club. We've all missed her," she said with sincere concern in her voice.

Joanne shrugged, looking away for a brief second. "I'm sure she misses you guys too. She is just quite busy with work but she is fine. Thanks."

"That's a relief then."

Joanne nodded before turning to face Hamid who was staring at her and his mother.

"Hi, Kachi." She waved at him, calling him by his middle name.

His face curled into a lopsided grin. "Hello, babe." She rolled her eyes at him playfully before bursting into laughter.

"I'll leave you two," Ada said to Joanne and her son. Joanne nodded at her.