Guilt (Chapter 17)

Start from the beginning

  He sat down on a chair that was on the other side of the coffee table and once again looked at me curiously, and I returned the stare looking at the cup and back up to him as a silent question.

  “Might as well make you feel welcome.” he shrugged after a second. “I mean, you must’ve came here for a reason, and that reason seems pretty important.”

  “Yeah.” I swallowed nervously. I didn’t think that telling him this would be hard until now that I was actually here.

  “And that is why I have to ask you…” he started and I felt my eyebrow raise, waiting for his guess that would by all means be wrong if I knew him right. “Which one of my friends are you crushing on?”

  I should have listened to the little voice in my head before, when it was telling me that taking a sip of the hot cocoa was a bad idea. The drink came spitting out when I heard his answer. Was it that obvious? Was I really that bad at hiding my feelings?

  “What- what- Zayn, what the hell are you talking about?” I asked, trying to cover my stuttering up.

  “Louis.” he simply said, staring into my eyes with such a diva-like look that I knew I shouldn’t question him further. “So who is it?”

  I opened my mouth to answer, but closed it straight after. I did that a few times before Zayn sighed and came over to my side, forcing my to look into his big honey eyes.

  “You look like a fish.” he commented through the tension with a completely serious expression and I felt a frown form on my face.

  “Yeah, well, you look rather animal like yourself.” I snapped back, not liking the way he was mocking me.

  “I do and always have.” he added casually, the seriousness still persistent. “Now, which one is it? Girl? Guy? Neither?”

  I felt a loud and very unattractive snort leave my mouth when he said ‘neither’. He looked at me weirdly for a second before he laughed lowly, the serious face falling immediately.

  “Looks like I’m not the only animal.” he teased and I tried putting on an angry and offended face, but a smile broke through.

  “How did we end like this?” I asked after a minute of us grinning like idiots. “We were good friends when you and Harry dated, but then we suddenly stopped talking and act like strangers. Just like you and Harry. But the weird part about our situation is how we ended. I have a crush on your friend and my friend is at your knees, begging for your love again.”

  He chuckled, shaking his head slowly. 

  “We really know how to choose the shitty ones, don’t we?” Zayn asked and I nodded in agreement, we really do.

  The silence returned, but I knew that I did have to tell him. He could help me, if he wanted to. But he probably didn’t. Not after his and Harry’s harsh breakup. I’m even surprised that he was near to me just to talk, not to swear and argue about Harry and his undying love. But I liked it. It was nice to get a small break. The only person I properly hang out is Harry, but he has been closed off lately and in a rather horrible state. Although, when I think about it, the fact that Zayn seems completely okay is a little more than a bit suspicious.

  “Niall.” I quietly whispered after a minute.

  “Uh, no, Zayn.” he corrected with a confused face.

  “No, I like Niall.” I replied, louder this time.

  “Oooh!” he finally said after a minute, dragging the ‘o’ out for such a unnecessary period of time that I wanted to slap him.