All along, I felt horrible for even getting marked by Artemis and then supporting her and lying for her but this was all so much worse. My heart felt like it had just been squeezed. And this wasn't just any women we were talking about, it was his ex or whatever he called them.

Not in a hundred years I would ever think about sleeping with Lucas after finding my mate. No one did that. Being mated to someone was a gift and if he was so afraid of commitment, why did he do it? He could've simply rejected and walked away from me which would then allow him to fuck as many women as he wanted.

"I'm sorry."

I turned my self away from him. "I'm going to go home." I couldn't think of anything better. I just wanted to disappear in the moment.

"Don't." He held my wrist tight, stopping me from getting off the stairs of the porch.

"There is a woman inside your house who's pregnant, with your child, Xalorad. Please, don't ask me to stay." I pleaded. It was going to be a torture to walk back inside and act like everything was fine.

I didn't want him to leave my hand but he did and he allowed me to leave. I took the keys of his car, slipped in and drove away while he simply stood there and watched me leave. I wished he had stopped but none of that happened.

When I began driving on the wet roads of the town, the reality struck me, hard and I cried for as long as I reached my house. There were wolves in this world who had left everything for their mates—no matter how addicted they were to it. That was the nature of the bond, of the mate bond.

Xalorad sleeping with another woman was the least of my worries. I trusted him with all my heart and never imagined him doing anything wrong with me.

The lies and the mistakes I had been making throughout all this were little and harmless. Even with all that, I felt terribly guilty for everything I had done.

He wasn't even feeling guilty and that showed when I left.

As I parked the car at my driveway, I wiped my face with a few tissue papers and jumped out to find Mom unloading her groceries from the car in the pouring rain. A shadow appeared from behind and it was Lucas, helping her out.

"I thought you'd be here soon!" He exclaimed.

"Oh, honey, you're back!" Mom ran to me, dropping all the groceries. "How was your trip? How was he? Did you like him or was he too much?" She questioned, laughing a little.

I bought a smile to my face. "It was fun and he's really amazing, Mom! I would tell you everything but I am sort of exhausted now and I want to go sleep."

"That's okay!" She took me inside the house. "I'm just glad you're back. I'm going to go set the groceries aside. Go get some rest." She spoke with haste. The light over her features was different, brighter than usual. She was happy.

"Okay!" I laughed while removing my rain coat. Mom ran inside the kitchen to handle the groceries while Lucas invited himself in. "What are you doing here, Lucas?" I asked, softly.

"Hannah told me you'd be here. I just came a few minutes ago and found your Mom struggling with the rain and the bags so I helped her. And, I wanted to tell you something." He replied, excitedly.

"And what's that?" I was all ready to hear something good.

Lucas cleared his throat and bowed down, giving out some sort of gesture that I didn't understood until he explained. "You're looking at the new Beta in training."

"What?" My mouth hung open. "That's impossible!"

"Mhm, no. The elders and the Alpha came into an agreement to give me the Delta position until I'm able to become a Beta. I suppose I should thank you for it?" He grinned, sounding happy.

I blinked and an unwanted tear fell from my eyes. I quickly wiped it away and sniffed, "I didn't do—I just gave Xalorad a hint a while back." I never mentioned Lucas' name to him either. It may not have been my doing. The pack was already in a need of a Beta and since he had won the tournament last year, he was on the top of the list.

"Why are you sad?"

"Oh, nothing, just the rain. I'm happy for you, Lucas. It's probably all your doing and none mine. You deserve it!" I pressed my hand on his before wandering upstairs.

"Marissa." He jerked me away from the stairs. "What happened? Did something go wrong with your Dad? I saw the pictures, they were amazing."

"No, no, you're right—he's probably the best Dad I could've ever gotten!" I exclaimed. Remembering him bought a smile to my face.

"Then what?"

I shook my head and resisted from exploding. "I don't know, Lucas. He—he slept with another woman when he found out I was his mate and now, that woman is pregnant. I know I shouldn't feel mad as we weren't together then but I just—I just so worthless and betrayed."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr