Chapter 10

The woman's face wasn't a face, not among the ones I had seen throughout my eighteen years of life. Her skin was sunk deep into her bones, scales at its texture. Her eyes were swollen, red and upon me. Sharp canines escaped her mouth, overlapping her lips and when she smiled at me, I screamed again.

It was a creature.

A monster.

I darted away as soon as I could. The impulsion wore off and I was able to get on my feet. The woman began laughing, viciously and loud enough to tear my ears apart. She didn't chase me. I didn't hear her marching but instead heard my own screams of horror echoing through the woods that I believed were safe.

No one came for me that evening.

No one.

When I reached out of the woods, it was brighter and I finally felt as if a burden was off my shoulder. My face was drenched in sweat, my fingers trembling and my body cold as ice.

I continued walking. Blood dripped down my neck along with sweat and my right leg felt like it had been twisted. I placed my hand over my chest and the other one over a pole in middle of nowhere.

I could see people and cars but none of them stopped for me. They wandered where their night took them.

I pulled my phone out and called Mom right away. She was the first person that came into mind.

"Mom," I sobbed, holding the phone against my ears.

"Marissa. What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Someone attacked me." I didn't know who that woman was and I had never seen or heard her all my life. This all only started two days back.

After the night in dungeon.

"Who? Where are you right now? Tell me. Are you hurt?" She panicked quickly.

"Mom, no, I don't know. Some creature." My head fell over my shoulders and tears spilled onto the ground. "I don't know anything. I'm going to the police. Can you come there, please?"

"Okay, okay, darling, just calm down. I'll leave and be there immediately."

The police station was right in front of me. It was located a few minutes away from the woods that led to the outside of the town. I just had to cross a road. I could do it. I scooped up myself and went across the road before reaching the Hillford Police Station.

Whoever had attacked me was probably still in the woods, waiting for me to return or someone else. And she must've been the one harassing me for days. It had to be her.

Her laughs still echoed in my ears even when I stepped inside the police station.

Reaching the reception, I cleared my throat and said, "I want to report an attack that just happened minutes ago."

The officer looked at me, "Are you okay, miss?"

"I—I'm fine. I just need—there is someone in the woods, someone not among us. It a creature, a different kind." I stuttered.

The officer gave me a paper, "Please fill up the form and we will look into it."

"No!" I slammed my hand on the glass desk. "No, you need to send someone there now. That person—that animal is still in the woods."

"All right, miss, please calm down. Could I get your name?" The officer took the paper back and asked.

I sighed, "Marissa Mcpherson."