It's just a walk... Right?

With his hand still at my back, Natsu leads me out of Love & Lucky and into the sunlight. "You didn't have to do that..." I mutter after a little bit of walking.

"Yeah, I kind of did," Natsu responds, rolling his eyes.

"Well... thanks." I say.

"Yeah just... should I even ask?" He wiggles his eyebrows, and I lightly shove him.

"No, because I'd rather not die at Cana's hands."

"I'll still attend your funeral," he tries to joke. I cock my head, and he laughs. "It can't be that bad..."

"It's not. She's just being secretive."

"Everyone has secrets. Doesn't mean they stay secret for long." Natsu puts his one hand in his pocket and looks up. I wonder what he's thinking.

"Oh yeah? And what's your secret?" I try to change the topic.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret," he replies, laughing.

"What was it you said? Doesn't mean they stay secret for long?" I raise one eyebrow.

"You got me." He shrugs. "I don't know. I guess at school it seems like everyone knows me. The badass player with all the girls. That's who I am to people at our school. But of course there's more to that. My- I..." I watch silently as Natsu struggles with his words. This is nothing like the playboy Levy warned me against. This is nothing like that boy in front of the dorms who ignored my existence. His onyx eyes look almost warm, and he genuinely looks like he's searching inside of himself. With a side glance, Natsu checks to see if I'm watching him, and catches me staring. Immediately, he starts laughing. "I'm sorry, was that too much?" He keeps laughing.

"Why are you laughing? I thought we were having a deep conversation here." I widen my eyes. How could he just laugh off something like that? Again, Natsu stiffens. He stops walking and just stares at me. "Uh... Natsu?" I wave a hand in front of his face, but he just catches it with his free hand. Holding my hand in his, he brings his behind my back.

"Lucy..." he whispers. "Do you know how cute you look when you do that? Every time in the arcade... you made me jump. Your eyes... Your deep, brown, beautiful eyes..." Natsu releases my hand, and brings his free hand up to my face. Tracing one gentle finger along my chin, I feverishly anticipate a kiss.

"N- Natsu," I feel a whimper grow in my throat, but I force it away.

"Luce... You are too damn cute!" He backs up, laughing, and I realize how stupid I was being. Kiss? Me? Me and him kissing? I don't even know him that well! I don't know if I like him like that! Plus, he did it again!

"Natsu! How could you just jump from serious to joking in a second? That's not really fair, if you think about it."

"Huh? What do you mean?" He tilts his head.

"I'm trying to be serious, Natsu. But you're just going to follow what everyone already thinks of you, and act standoffish to any kind of emotion!" I groan in frustration.

"What... what does that even mean?" Natsu looks at me, and I expect him to have another stupid expression, but he's actually looking at me with clear, open eyes.

"You avoid the serious topics by laughing everything off. Why? You probably are like that with relationships, too. That's why people think what they think. You don't give them a chance to see otherwise, either." I put my hands on my hips, and Natsu just stares at me. "We should keep walking," I say after a pause.

"R- right. Gomen." Natsu looks straight ahead.

__________________________________________________________

Natsu and I arrive at the dorms, but not fast enough. The tension from that almost- kiss still races through my veins. I almost bring it up- BAKA LUCY!- but instead I focus on our destination.

"Thanks for walking me back, Natsu. You really saved my skin."

"You're welcome." Natsu stands slightly behind me.

"Do you think you could find a way to untangle your ring from my sweater now? What ring is this anyways, that's caused so much trouble?" Now that he can focus, he slowly gets his ring unstuck, and shows it to me.

"The Fairy Tail insignia..." I say in awe and recognition. The ring is a plain and simple silver, outlined in bright red. Both of my charms are outlined in pink, and I think Cana's Fairy Tail key charm is outlined in black. "So that's what's gotten caught in all my things."

"Yeah." Natsu gently pulls his hand out from mine, and I let go. He hands me the sweater, which I gratefully put on.

"Thanks again, Natsu." I smile at him.

"... You don't have to keep thanking me... and stop saying my name like that." Natsu looks at the ground, and I don't point it out, but do I see a hint of a blush?

"Like what?" I smirk.

"N- nevermind. I'll see you around, Luce." Natsu turns around and starts to walk away, leaving me at the porch of the girl's dorms.

"Wait, Natsu!" I call after him, suddenly. He turns around, confused. "Are you going back to the diner?"

"I don't know, why?" He asks, walking back over.

"I... I don't know." I really don't know why I asked him that, or why I called him back, but he continues to walk to me until he's standing right in front of me.

"Or did you just want to say goodbye properly?" Natsu's voice gets syrupy, and he lifts one of my hands to his lips. Casually brushing his lips against the skin of my hand before placing a delicate kiss, he does not take his eyes off mine. I shiver a bit, but try not to let him see. His eyes suddenly squint with mischief, and he stands up.

"N- Natsu!"

"Goodbye, Luce. I'll see you in class." With that, Natsu saunters away, and I stay standing there, my hand still outstretched.

*

*

*

I just wanted a little more NaLu right here *u* Here's another chapter, longer than some of the others, I think

thanks for sticking around!!❤⭐️