Chapter 8: "Too Many von Brugens"

I braced myself for Dad's arrival, wondering which half of Vortville he'd destroy while saving the other half.

But then I noticed something strange: Freaky Fuzzies were being flung right and left, all over the schoolyard. Then I spotted something near the school parking lot, jumping around like crazy and screaming really loud.

It was Gert's chimpanzee!

He was picking up one Freaky Fuzzy after another and smashing them to the ground!

I saw that the chimp's collar was blinking red, just like at the science fair. The C.H.I.P. 1.0 microthingy was still working. But, this time, it wasn't making the chimp supersmart, it was making him superstrong. And he was taking out more Freaky Fuzzies than C.H.I.P. the football player!

Seth Mindwarp ran out of the school, frantic. "Attack him!" Seth commanded, and the remaining Freaky Fuzzies circled the chimp and moved in on him fast.

Gert von Brugen ran out of the building too, and she was just as shocked as Seth. "Chimp von Brugen, what are you doing?!" But then she realized what was going on, and, after spotting me and Chip, quickly pulled out her phone and pretended to control the chimp with an app. "Uh, I mean, smash those Freaky Fuzzies! Save Vortville because I made you supersmart and superstrong! Me, Gert von Brugen!"

But it wasn't looking too good for the chimp right now. He was surrounded by the little zombified machines with no way to escape... until he did something even the strongest human couldn't do: He jumped twenty feet up in the air and landed at the top of a tree. Seth Mindwarp was furious, and he ordered all the flying Freaky Fuzzies to attack the chimp. But the chimp just swung at one Fuzzy after another, sending them crashing down to the ground below.

Just then, my dad showed up with his men from McKrakken Security Systems. As usual, they were armed to the teeth, ready to take on the Freaky Fuzzies with maximum firepower. But, by the time they were ready to fire on the Fuzzies, the evil little toys were kaput, thanks to the chimp!

Seth Mindwarp fell to his knees and started sobbing. "My Fuzzies! Nooo! You never hurt anyone! You just wanted to be loved, is that so wrong?"

A couple of Dad's men grabbed Seth and threw him into their armored van. "Looks like we showed up just in time," Dad said. "You're going back to the slammer, Mindwarp, where the only minds you'll be able to warp are the cockroaches in your jail cell."

Then a whole bunch of news crews rushed in, Anastasia O'Neil leading the pack. "It's an incredible scene, ladies and gentlemen! Freaky Fuzzy carcasses scattered as far as the eye can see. No doubt the hero guy is responsible for saving Vortville yet again!"

"Are you kidding?!" Gert cried. "You see any hero guy around here? It was my chimp who saved the day! Me, Gert von Brugen! That's v-o-n, capital B-r-u-g-e-n! Von Brugen! Get it right, or you'll hear from my lawyer!" Then put her arm around the chimp, posing and preening for the cameras.

And all Chip and I could do was watch from the sidelines. Gert von Brugen had experimented with my technology on a chimp, and it worked! I could have done that months ago myself, but I didn't because I was worried that the C.H.I.P. microthingy might be hard to control in a wild animal. But now Gert beat me to it, and she was soaking up all the adulation - adulation that should rightfully have been soaked up by me!