Make a Leap (Moonjou)

Request by Owlpaw_Loves_Art

Moon's heart fell out of her chest. Winter hated her. Qibli hated her. They all hated her. 

"You've been reading our minds this whole time?" Qibli asked in terrified disbelief. His thoughts were full of fear and sadness. Winter wasn't saying anything. He just glared at her, thoughts of horror and fury. He hated NightWings more than ever now. 

"I'm sorry!" Moon cried. "I can't control it!"

"But why didn't you tell us..?" Qibli trailed off. He was thinking about her, and how he thought he could trust her...and then walls crashed around his mind as fear spiked again. Don't think, don't think, don't think.... 

Moon stumbled backwards, wanting desperately to run away. Winter cast one last frosty look at her before storming out of the cave. She looked at Qibli, but he didn't meet her eyes. He followed Winter out of the cave and disappeared around the corner. 

Moon collapsed on the ground, sobbing. How did she let them find out? How did she mess up so badly? A soft talon rested on her wing, and Moon curled up tighter, wrapping her tail around herself, hiding from anyone else's hate. "Moon?"

Moon looked up and saw Kinkajou. The RainWing didn't look scared or angry, just worried. "Follow me," She turned and ran out of the cave, down the hallway away from where Qibli and Winter had gone. Moon pushed herself to her feet and followed. 

After running for awhile, Kinkajou lead Moon to a cave near the top of Jade Mountain. Two of the moons were full and the sky was ice clear and covered in stars. Kinkajou turned and looked at Moon. "Are you ok?"

Moon felt the despair come back and she slumped onto the ground. "I ruined everything," she said through her tears. "Everyone hates me for my power and are scared that I can read their minds. It was supposed to be a secret."

"I don't hate you." Kinkajou said softly. She sat down next to Moon and curled her tail around hers. "I know you can't control it and how stressful it must be. I mean, I wouldn't like it if no one wanted to be my friend because I couldn't control the colour of my scales." Kinkajou chirped a laugh. "Or if I was always invisible."

"But being invisible doesn't affect anyone other than yourself." Moon said. "How is it the same?"

"It is very similar." Kinkajou said. "If I'm always invisible, dragons would bump into me and think I was spying all the time."

Moon looked up and met Kinkajou's face.

"You have a gift, Moon. And just because you aren't great at using it yet doesn't make you a bad dragon." Kinkajou's face was kind and gentle and full of compassion. It brought fresh tears to Moon's eyes.

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed. "I don't want to hurt you."

Kinkajou rested her head over Moon's protectively and curled her tail with hers. "I'm willing to risk it."

A/N: sorry this one is short. Hope you like it :)