PART IX ESCAPE

As I was thinking what to do next, I noticed a black tall castle on the right. "It's the Waste! It's the castle of Witch of the Waste!" I cried out with excitement. "Now that she is held by Sir James, the castle must be empty" I thought to myself. "I'm going to stop there. Who'd think to look for me there?" I looked at the bank of the river, it was quite far away from the boat. "Please, let me survive" I said to some higher powers and jumped into the water. It was quite deep, but the current didn't carry me away, I managed to reach the riverbank. I walked for another twenty minutes when I reached the castle. "Thank God, I'm here. Never thought I'd say this about the castle in the Waste" I laughed to myself.

I entered the castle. It was somehow brighter than the last time. It seemed to be empty, so I took my ring off. I was still soaking wet. After wandering for a little bit, I decided to settle in what seemed to be a drawing room. It was best lit of all of the rest of the rooms and it had a comfortable couch. I was so tired and crashed on it and closed my eyes and I got flashbacks from the last time I was here. Invisibility, hidden door, Howl... Howl...

I woke up to a sound of steps. I jumped up ready to fight whoever was there. Then I realized I don't have any powers. "I'll have to improvise" I thought. I looked around and didn't see anyone. I was not sure, perhaps I dreamed it and there weren't any steps.

"So, this is your wedding dress? Huh?" the voice came from the shadows.

I grabbed a heavy metal shovel which lied by the fireplace.

"who is this?" I asked.

"Why of course it's me, Howl" the voice replied as Howl emerged from the shadows.

It was him. I was relieved, I knew I wasn't in danger. But suddenly I became overwhelmed by all the feelings I had for Howl. I was attracted to him, but also upset and angry. He didn't even try to save me and now he has the audacity to show up like that putting me in danger again?

"Red wedding dress. Hmm, I knew you wouldn't wear white." He smirked leaning on one of the pillars. "Not after the thoughts you had about me locked up in your room."

I felt a sharp pain in my heart. I was mortified. How did he know?

"You look stunning, I must admit" Howl said before I could ask him anything.

"How did you know I was here?" I asked abruptly.

"I felt presence of my ring nearby, so I came to collect it." He said softly. "I believe I am not getting back my dressing gown and my favorite shirt?" he asked.

"Feel free to step by the palace and pick it up yourself" I said irritated, almost panting from all the blood rushing in my veins. "There, take your ring and leave me in peace" I said as I threw the ring towards him.

He picked up the ring, looked at it and stood in silence while my heart was racing, and I wanted this to be over. After a while he turned his eyes back to me.

"You know I came here for you, not the ring?" he said somewhat uncomfortably and looked down at the ring.

"Well, I don't need your help." I said with a determined voice.

"I didn't say I came here to help. I came here for you" Howl emphasized.

"And what is that you need from me?" I asked.

It looked like he hesitated. "Let's go to my castle. It is nearby, there's fire and food. Look at you, your dress is wet. You'll catch a cold" he paused a little and then continued, "Everyone was glad to hear you managed to escape, they are waiting for you".

"Who's everyone?" I couldn't help but ask it out loud.

"You know, Michael, Calcifer and um, Sophie." He said again with hesitation.

I felt my heart sinking. "Sophie? Who the hell is Sophie? So it is true, he was praying on pretty girls all of this time when I was trying to justify him" I thought.

"It looks like all the beds in the castle are taken, including yours" I said holding my tears back, "I wouldn't dare to take any more of your precious space. Now please, as I said before, leave me alone. Perhaps I will become a new witch of the Waste."

"I wouldn't let that happen" Howl said as he quickly ran towards me and grabbed me tightly by my waste. "Hold on" he said, and we started running rapidly towards the exit. I was unable to fight him, I gave up and big teardrops started rolling down my cheeks.