Worse yet? The fact that the situation was of my own making, didn't exactly make the matter easier to digest.

It pained me that I'd caused her to question my faith in her. That's the last thing I'd ever wanted.

The notion was enough to make me crumble in uncertainty.

There was no light like a future with her. And now that light was flickering.

This was all wrong.

Rightfully, no one should escort her tonight but me.

A sudden shard of jealousy rose in my chest, but I quickly extinguished it.

Get a grip, Danny. She's only going with your sister for crying out loud.

That sentence alone threw me off balance. I had to get a grip, or I'd stand the chance of losing her for good.

I started reciting a few Psalms in my head, trying to keep myself calm at the prospect of another man even looking at her tonight.

When I get there, I want there to be no doubt in her mind that what we have is special, and I want her to want it with me. I wanted Paege to know that I trust her implicitly.

If there was any chance of me accomplishing that tonight, I would have to be on my best behaviour. Especially as she'd walked in there without a male presence, and the vultures would surely swarm.

It would be difficult, but I would have to try.

I couldn't exactly blame Bell for going with Paege tonight. They were like sisters–upset one at the risk of becoming a blip on the other's radar. I promise that was not a very smart move or a very nice place to be.

I'm certain I barely made it out unscathed because of my connection to both women. Another might not have been so lucky, instead, risking the wrath of those two fiery women.

Fortunately, I was able to keep my head. Or maybe my sister just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

With all the busy days on the ranch, I couldn't exactly blame her. Whatever energy she possessed must have been spent tilling the land with my ranch hands to make it ready for cropping.

The reserves of her energy would have likely been used to head back to the main house, freshen up and eat before drifting off to sleep wherever she landed.

Sometimes, she didn't manage to make it very far and settled for the sofa. Either way, she'd crash in what had to be the most awkward positions.

I'd carry her to bed or tuck her in, but that didn't exonerate me in her eyes. My only reconciliation, and sole defence, seemed to be that I was her doting big brother.

If it weren't for that bond, God help me.

Paege, on the flip-side, was a quiet burn. A crackle, prevailing unnoticed, but as soon as there was the slightest gush of air, a flaming trail to any unwitting aggressor.

That was one of the things I both loved and feared about her. She could hold her own against me. And hell if that didn't make her the sexiest woman alive.

That quality alone attracted me to her, in more ways than one.

Several times I'd found my feet moving of their own accord, like a compass steering me to Paege. She was–ismy true north.

I'd be in the midst of closing the gap between us or reaching out to sate the overbearing urge to touch her once more, completely dazed by her radiant and incredible beauty.

But each time, I chickened out, knowing full well that if I didn't have the right words when I approached her again, I'd be digging a deeper trench as opposed to getting back in her favour.