New Campers

When new campers arrive at Camp Half-Blood, they're never sure what to expect. They're told that they're half god, half-human, something that they didn't think was possible. Their lives are from the myths that they've heard in their history and English classes, regarded as works of fiction from a far off time. They're told that they'll have to fight for the rest of their lives, as they'll always be in danger. And then they're told that the camp in which they're staying, one of the safest places in the world for people like them - demigods - is invisible to many and hidden away from sight.

The biggest shock, however, comes to the campers that have Nico and Will giving them the welcome tour.

During the summer, when campers arrive in tired and weary groups, Will volunteers to give them the welcoming tour. Before they even begin the tour, Will makes sure to patch up all of the scratches that a demigod has after their adventures to Camp Half-Blood. They haven't had a Percy Jackson situation since, well, Percy Jackson, so usually a quick bit of first aid does the trick. These campers are met with warmth and care from a person who smiles as brightly as the sun, and they immediately feel welcomed.

Then, they are introduced to their second tour guide and are met with a completely different energy. Nico always makes sure to join Will for the welcoming tour, even though he's always at least ten minutes late. He shows up squinting from the sunlight, pushing his hair out of his face in mild exasperation, and offering a small wave to the new campers. The new campers compare the two, one bright and shining, the other dressed head to toe in black.

Some of the campers, however, are always a little more observant than their new friends, and notice the quick and genuine smile that the two share.

They're shown around the camp, with Will and Nico taking turns explaining the different areas of the camp to them. While Nico is quieter than Will in his explanations, his messages are more direct, leading to Will frequently referring to Nico to tell about the camp.

More of the campers begin to pick up on their dynamic here, as they watch Will beam as Nico motions towards the different buildings, explaining their purposes and usages.

As they reach the end of the tour, Will and Nico make sure to tell them the history of the camp - especially within the more recent years. They tell them about the gods, the Big Three and their oath, the war against Kronos, and then the war against Gia. They tell them about the Romans and their place of refuge, making sure that everyone is aware that the Roman and Greek demigods are on good terms and that, if they would please, they are welcome to go to the Roman camp at any time. They assure the campers that they will be claimed by their godly parent soon enough, and when they are claimed, they will then go to their cabin to live with their siblings. At this points, one camper is always curious.

"Who are your parents?"

Will is always the one who answers the first question.

"My dad is Apollo and Nico's dad is Hades."

There's always silence as the information sinks in.

"So your dad broke the oath?"

Nico is always the one who answers next.

"No."

And from there, no further information is given.

At this point, the tour of the camp is over and the campers are led to the Hermes Cabin to rest while they await the knowledge of their godly parentage. They turn to thank their tour guides, who both smile, though Nico's smile is a tad smaller, before heading on their way. On the way back to the infirmary, Nico links his hand with Will's and they bump shoulders as they continue with their walk.

The new campers watch the pair walk, their sentiment always the same.

What an unlikely, but absolutely lovely, couple.