A Sound From the Closet

"Nico?"

"Will?"

"What's in your closest?"

Nico glanced up at Will, eyes wide before his face quickly turned neutral. Will's eyes narrowed. His boyfriend was definitely up to something.

"There's nothing in my closet, thank you," Nico replied curtly. "Now play your card." He nodded his head towards the Mythomagic card in Will's hands, waiting expectantly.

"Do you have a cat in there? You've been talking about cats a lot lately."

"There's not a cat anywhere near here, now play your card."

"Nico, you've got a cat in there."

"There are no cats in this cabin."

A loud crash came from the closet followed by a long, annoyed meow. Nico's gaze quickly snapped to the cards in his hands, avoiding Will as best as he could.

Will's eyes narrowed, and quietly placed a card down to play. Nico looked up quickly before playing his own card, still avoiding Will's gaze.

"Where'd you get a cat from?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Your cat just fell down."

"No cats in here."

"Are you going to go check on it?"

There was a pause, and Will noticed Nico's nose scrunch up. Nico slapped a card down on the floor.

"Yes of course I'm going to go check on her, I'm not a monster."

Will sat his cards down, drawing up his knees to his chest as he spun to watch Nico duck into his closet for a second, hearing a small sigh before Nico backed out holding a bright white kitten. Nico murmured something to the cat before being met with a small squeak. He nodded before turning and looking at Will.

"She said she's fine."

Will felt a smile spread across his face. "That's good, but Neeks, you can't have a cat in your cabin."

Nico glared, adjusting as the cat began to climb up his shoulder. "I don't care." He winced, turning to smile softly at the kitten who was making herself comfortable. "Watch the claws please."

Will hummed, resting his chin on his knees. Nico's face lit up with joy as the cat gave him a head butt, a loud purr filling the silence of the cabin.

"Why, thank you Marshmallow."

Will quickly stifled a laugh. "You named her Marshmallow?"

"Yes I did," Nico said, a frown taking over his face. "What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing, nothing," Will backtracked. He watched as Nico tried to handle the kitten with care, even though she seemed determined to flop off of his shoulder and onto the floor. "You're not allergic, are you?"

Both Nico and Marshmallow stopped abruptly, looking at Will. "No," Nico said, finally taking the chance to grab the kitten and maneuver her so that he could sit down without dropping her. Marshmallow let out a dramatic wail in protest. Nico rolled his eyes. "I'm not allergic. Are you?" Marshmallow stalked cautiously towards Will's foot.

Will felt... in danger.

"No. I did take you as more of a dog person though." With Will's response, Marshmallow squeaked and pounced on Will's foot, attacking while simitaneously trying to pull off his sock. "Ow, no, stop, those are my toes."

Nico's eyes sparkled with amusement, but he managed to pull Marshmallow away. "You gotta be nice to Will," Nico whispered to her. He glanced back up at Will. "I might be more of a dog person, but I couldn't leave her on the streets, so-"

"You snuck her in."

"I didn't sneak her in, I invited her in.'"

Will snorted slightly, reaching a hand out to pet the white cat who had begun to circle him again. "You'll have to tell Chiron and Mr. D about her eventually. I'm sure we're allowed to have pets."

"They don't need to know," Nico said, but there was definitely a questioning - and hopeful - look taking over his face.

Will sighed. "I mean they'll know eventu - ow! I look away for one second," Will laughed as he yanked his hand away from where Marshmallow had chomped on him, a gleam in her eye.

Just like the gleam Nico would get in his eyes before he came up with a scheme.

Will's eyes narrowed as he watched Marshmallow try to pretend like nothing was happening. As he blinked, a white ball of fur flew at his face. He cried out in surprise as he toppled over. Nico's laughter filled the cabin, the other boy clutching his stomach and his nose turning pink. Marshmallow meowed triumphantly as she bounced back to Nico's side.

"I was just attacked by an animal and my boyfriend is laughing," Will sighed, as dramatic as possible. "He's laughing."

Nico's laughter settled down to some small giggles, giddy with amusement. "You're fine. She never uses claws anyways... when she goes for the face."

"Yeah yeah, I know." Will sat up, smiling at Nico, who smiled just as brightly back. "They'll find out eventually though."

"Mr. D likes cats," Nico offered, side eyeing Marshmallow who had flopped over and was asking for a tummy rub. Nico hesitantly moved his hand before she went to latch on, her back paws already trying to kick at his hand. Nico yanked his arm back, sighing. "It was a trap."

"Mr. D likes jaguars," Will reminded, picking up his cards again, knowing they should resume the game is they wanted to finish before dinner.

"Jaguars are cats," Nico said, adjusting himself so that Marshmallow could sit comfortably in his lap. Marshmallow meowed in agreement, looking at Will a long moment before settling down.

"Oh gods, there's two of you now." Will laughed, noticing how Nico rolled his eyes, "Where'd we stop in the game?"

Nico shrugged, looking at the cards on the floor. "I won. New game?"

"Wait, no, what? How did you win?"

"By playing the game by the rules."

"Oh my gods."

"Not my fault you're bad at the game."

"Kind of is, since you taught me how to play."

"Nope, I'm sorry but you just suck at the game. Want to try again?"

"You know what, yes, I do. I'll win this time."

"You wish."