They'd Done This Before and They'd Have to do it Again

Nico sat down quietly, taking Will's hand in his and settling into the silence. This silence was for Will to break, not him. They'd had to do this before, and it was almost guaranteed they'd have to do it again.

Wil's hand was limp in Nico's for a while, until he offered a small squeeze in response to Nico's presence. Nico nodded, settling in fully to his position on the ground, leaning up against the tree that Will was slouched upon.

Will smelled like sweat. He smelled like tears and blood. And death. Nico knew that last one too well, spending days, weeks - months even - in the Underworld with his father. Watching people come in. Watching them wait.

Nico was waiting now, but waiting for a cue. A signal maybe. Will knew this too. Nico would wait until Will was ready. This was how Will grieved. It wasn't loud and rushed like the others.

It was quiet. Silent. Painful.

Secluded.

Forever.

Will let out a long sigh, rubbing his free hand down his face. That was a cue. Nico gently unclamped their hands and wound his arm around Will, supporting both of their weight when Will leaned against his shoulder. They got comfortable, leaning against the tree and taking comfort in the grass underneath them as they sat in silence.

"She was young," Will whispered, his voice breaking. "It's worse when they're young. It's always bad, but it's worse when they're young."

Nico shifted slightly, moving so that he could rest his chin gently on the top of Will's head. He stayed silent, waiting. They'd done this before, and they'd do it again.

And Nico would be here every time.

"She... she told me that she'd had nightmares before the monsters started to go after her. And she was - she was dying, but her eyes... just shone. She was so excited to be here. At least for a little while." Will had stilled completely, but Nico could feel Will's heartbeat pounding. "I tried everything I could. I always try."

There was the next cue. Nico readjusted again so that he and Will were facing each other, looking down at their clasped hands. "I know you do. You always do," Nico murmured. "You always do and you always will."

Will took a deep breath. "Do you think they know?" he asked, voice shaking. Nico closed his eyes, the thorns in his throat twisting at Will's question. The person Nico would do almost anything or was sitting in front of him, broken, remembering every person whom he had lost, every person that he had tried so desperately to help. Every person who hadn't made it.

Just like every other time before.

They had done this before, and they would have to do it again.

"I know they do. They know, they know," Nico whispered. He leaned forward to rest his forehead against Will's, still looking at their clasped hands. Will did the same.

They sat there for a while, with empty eyes staring at entwined fingers and muster voices resting amongst a loud lie. Finally, Will sat back, releasing Nico's hands to scrub at his eyes. Nico sat back as well, but placed his hands on his ankles and waiting, watching Will patiently.

"Okay," was all Will said as he stood up, offering a hand to help Nico up off the ground - who gladly took it. Brushing themselves off before linking hands once again, they began the walk back to camp.

They had done this before, and no matter how much Nico wished they wouldn't, they would have to do it again.