1

Charlie's POV
"Adam?" His blue eyes fluttering open, meeting mine as his breath fans over my face. I quietly say "Adam, I have homework." He has that look of just plain rejection in his bright blue eyes. I quietly say "Adam" him looking into my eyes again. I lean into this boy sitting on my bed with my thigh gently brushing his, just I was moments before. He leans in just as slowly, our lips slowly brushing each other's. I rest my hands on his muscular thigh. Adams hands drift to my hair. He pulls away saying "when did you know?" I stare into his piercing blue eyes as he nervously looks down. I look at him saying "know what?" Adam awkwardly says "ya know" making me smile inwardly at his awkwardness then I realize what he's saying. I say "that I wasn't straight?" He shyly nods, I think for a second then I say "maybe a few years ago?" Adam mumbles "how do you not remember that specifically?" I says "darker times, I try to block it out so I try not to relive it therefore, I don't remember that." I look at him in question and he quietly says "maybe a few months ago but it still confuses me if you get what I'm saying" quietly. I say "no, I get it way more than you think, Adam" and he comes out of his daze of his eyes just boreing into mine saying "we have homework" trying to get out of the conversation now that its gotten a bit awkward and hard to carry on with. I quietly say "can you help me with my math?" Adam says "of course, baby, I got you" making me feel fuzzy inside. It's a nickname, I can tell, that just slipped out cause he does that sometimes. He may be awkward but when he's calm the smoothness and the nicknames come flowing out. We sit criss cross across from each other on my bed, our knees hitting each other's gently, and he says "let me see" quietly and I hand him my homework. I say "I just don't understand number three" and he starts explaining, occasionally making eye contact. I then ask him "can you repeat that?" He nods, then goes into explaining again, and I mumble "I get it, thanks you" and I do my work. He pulls out his homework and I say "what do you have?" He says "algebra" and I say "yuck" and we both do our homework. Adam quietly says "I haven't heard someone call me Adam in so long" and I smile saying "that a good or a bad thing?" He says "normally I hear it when I'm in trouble with my dad but I like hearing it from you." I blush lightly and I say "stop it" looking down and he leans in a bit saying "no." I say "we have hockey tomorrow" looking between his lips and his eyes. I sigh and he says "its more of a placement practice, they probably won't put any of us on varsity though" quietly. I rest my hands on the bed behind me and he moves our homework to the side. Adam moves to his knees in front of me and kisses me softly. Adam slowly gets up saying "goodnight" and I shyly say "goodnight, Adam" him shutting the lights off and we lay down. What is happening to me? Adam Banks has me in a hold but I don't want him to let go. This is just one night but I don't want it to end. I look over in his direction longingly, just wanting to hear his voice again, and I eventually fall asleep.
The next day
My alarm goes off and I sigh, sitting up then changing into my school clothes. People are yelling in the hallway and I smile, shaking my head. I go over to Adam, brushing his hair out of his face, and I say "we have school, Adam" quietly. He groans quietly saying "morning" his eyes flicking up to mine. I smile, looking into his eyes, and he sits up, going to put clothes on. He says "it was so hot last night, thought I was dying" putting a shirt on and I smile saying "its still early September, enjoy the heat while you still can cause pretty soon it'll be snow." Adam says "you're right" and we all go to school, all of our friends causing trouble throughout the day. We all then go to hockey and we meet our new coach, coach Orion. I sigh and I say "I'm Charlie" to him and he says "I'm assuming thats what that 'C' stands for" pointing at my jersey and I roll my eyes saying "fine, be that way, coach" and he says "laps" and I say "how many, coach Orion?" He says "I don't think I said, Conway" and I groan quietly, doing laps for what feels like hours but it couldn't have been any more than half an hour. We all make it through the rest of practice feeling completely dismissed because we tell him we used to practice a certain way, we were undefeated so we should have a say, and he says something along the lines that it would never work or 'the ducks are dead.' Literally what? This is going to be hell. We go back to the locker room at the end of practice and we check the board for where we got put. I look for my name, we all made JV and I'm not the captain. Wait. I look through varsity names and right at the top is Adam Banks. I say "Banks" and he says "yeah?" I say "take a look at this" quietly and he comes over as he takes off his gear. He says "shit" as soon as I point it out and I nod, going to take my gear off. Adam mumbles "I don't want to do that, I can't do that" as he walks by me. The coach comes in and starts lecturing us about grades and how we all have to be really good students or we can't play. This is going to be a long year.