(06) Battle Royale

(Unknown Location)

'It survived the resurrection process. Much like our child did so long ago.' Skrael said, looking towards Alice.

Alice flinched at this; they deeply resented the idea that they had any connection to these creatures (despite the revelation that they had saved them from death, and then shaped their life from the shadows.)

They were their own being. Not a tool for someone else's use. Even Gunmar had understood that.

'I told you she could, Skrael.' Nari replied, sending a burst of light to Morgana's feet. 'So old, and they still haven't learned any manners.'

'Who are you?' Morgana asked. 'What do you want with my ward and I?'

'Well, I am Nari of the eternal forest, that is Skrael of the north wind, and that is Bellroc.'

Bellroc rushed towards Morgana, pushing her against a rock.

'I am the keeper of the flame. We are the first. We've watched over magicks since the stars were young.' Bellroc said, making a glowing diagram with all of their colours on the cliff-face. 'But man has destroyed the balance. Just as they tried to destroy you.'

'You brought us back. Why?' Morgana asked.

'Because you can right what the mortals made wrong.' Skrael answered, sending a bolt of ice towards the mural. This bolt of ice creates a picture of Morgana right in the centre of the mural.

'You come from their world, but fight for ours. You will be the eldritch queen; the mother of monsters.' Bellroc said.

Then, together they merged their magic and encased Morgana in the armour depicted in the mural.

'You will be the instrument of our reckoning.' Bellroc said, while Morgana bowed at their feet.

'I accept this gift.' Morgana said, eyes now a dark green colour. 'I trust Alice does as well?'

Alice nodded; accepting their fate.

(Camelot)

'We know Arthur's the main target. Alice and I will draw stasis traps around the perimeter, and put up defensive wards,' Douxie said, taking a muffin from Steve and putting it into his mouth. 'Mm, I forgot how good these tasted. The ones in the future just aren't the same.'

'You also seem to have forgotten how to not talk with your mouth full as well, it seems.' Alice scolded.

'Guys. This is Morgana we're talking about. We can't just wait for her to slice our throats.'

'Why not?' Steve asked, nonplussed.

'Because she'll find a way in.' Claire replied.

'No sign of any sorceresses.' Archie said, flying back towards Douxie. 'Then again, all you humans do look alike.'

The small group then began to move away from the sounds of the battle.

'She's crafty. She'll try to infiltrate the tournament. We have to go on the offensive, root the witch out.' Claire said.

'You do that, we'll sort the defences out.' Douxie replied.

So, while Steve was drafted to fight in the tournament, Douxie and Alice ran off to help keep the castle safe.

++

'Ugh, I thought the king was in danger. Not wanting to use my friend as a sideshow.' Douxie complained, watching as Archie fought a gnome in the arena.

'Well, you know what royalty are like. They're-'

'What is she doing?' Douxie yelled, interrupting Alice's reply.