(01) A Rooftop

Camelot (sometime in the 12th century)

Alice was running, the stones of the Camelot roof cold on their feet. They didn't really know where they were going, only that they wanted to get away. Everything looked different through these new eyes - or were they old eyes - they honestly could not tell.

Then there was the sound of a shadow portal opening behind them on the roof. Alice fired bolts of pink magic at their pursuer and jumped across onto the next roof. Morgana stepped out of the portal, staff in hand, deftly avoiding the fire Alice had flung at them.

Alice growled, curling their hands into fists; long claws cutting into the flesh of their hands. Their eyes were now golden, and their body was glowing slightly.

'Leave me alone Morgana! I'm a monster! You don't know what I'm capable of!' Alice wailed.

'When I took you in as my ward, I was aware of your power levels, as they are similar to my own. I knew what you had the capability to do, I wanted to help you control your power. Make you feel okay in your own skin like I never got to. But over time, even though I never meant it, you now feel like you are my child. So, please! Can't we discuss this together?' Morgana said, imploringly.

'But I don't know what's going on with me. I don't know whether I'll ever be able to change back.' Alice shouted.

'There is always glamour magic. You know this.' Morgana replied.

'It wouldn't feel right to me! I'd still be like this -- this abomination!' Alice waved their hands in the air, gesturing vaguely at their head. 'I have horns, for goodness sake! Those wouldn't be easy to hide!' Alice yelled.

Alice stepped backwards, feet clipping the edge of the roof. The glow had intensified now, and was making them scorch the roof tiles.

'Right now I can't even set foot on the ground without Arthur's men trying to kill me! Who knows, maybe that would be better.' Alice screamed.

Morgana raised her staff, but it was too late. Alice had already gone over the edge of the roof.

Falling was more peaceful than they'd expected. Alice closed their eyes, and spread their arms out. Then, something inside their body - a protective instinct maybe - clicked and brown and golden feathers spread along their arms, making owl-like wings.

Regrettably they came far too late, and Alice crashed into Douxie (who had been searching for them on the ground - at Morgana's behest.) He fell over backwards; breaking a barrel and drenching them both with water. Alice opened their eyes and looked up at Douxie and then glanced back down at their feathers - which were starting to recede back into their body. The glow had also disappeared; it must be connected somehow to their emotional state.

'Hello, darling.' Douxie said.

'Why weren't you on the roof? I thought you'd be the one to go all 'knight in shining armour' on me.' Alice questioned.

'Why would I do that? I know you don't like confrontations.' Douxie replied.

'That is true.' Alice noted.

Douxie's hands reached up into their hair and ruffled it gently; making sure not to touch Alice's horns. Alice let out a noise that sounded like a purr and changed back into their human form.

'That's interesting. I thought it would have taken a lot more than that to change you back. How do you feel now?' Douxie asked.

'I feel fine, I just don't feel like myself.' Alice said.

'But you will, we're all here for you. Whatever it takes.' Douxie reminded them.

Then, as if they knew the 'danger' was over, the alarm bells stopped tolling. Merlin had probably gotten Arthur to call them off.

'Come on, let's go dry off. I doubt either of us want to smell like a wet bird forever.' Alice remarked.

Douxie laughed. Alice smiled, taking Douxie's hand as they stood up.

'Of course, and then I'll make us some hot tea.' Alice said.

'That sounds good.' Douxie commented.

++

Author's Note: I am so sorry this took so long to be put up! I hope you enjoyed this! I would love to hear your thoughts!

This chapter was originally posted on the 1st of November 2020, and was edited on the 24th of July 2021.