chapter nine.

MALLORY'S POV

The next day, I woke up feeling as though what happened last night was a dream. It didn't feel real and the more I thought about it, I was praying that I had one too many glasses of wine and it was just some terrible dream.

But once I checked my phone and saw the 27 calls I made to Drew and the countless texts I sent him, my heart sank into the pit of my stomach as I realized it wasn't a dream.

He never answered a single one of my calls last night and with each call I made, I was so hopeful it would be the one he would answer. But I was wrong.

What he walked into last night wasn't what it looked like at all and I wished so badly he would've let me explain that to him. I knew it looked bad and I couldn't even imagine how he felt, but for him to think I would ever cheat on him was absurd.

The only reason Gabe was at my apartment last night was because we were watching a baseball game together. His home team, the LA Dodgers, were playing against my home team, the Philadelphia Phillies. Gabe originally tried to get us tickets to the game since we were both MLB fans, but since it was so last minute, he wasn't able to. So, I offered for him to watch the game at my place.

There was nothing more to it, and I wished Drew would've given me the chance to explain that to him before he walked out.

Though I knew nothing more was happening, besides two friends watching an MLB game together, I still felt so guilty. I couldn't imagine how he felt, and I knew he was beyond upset with me. I wasn't going to spam his phone anymore, though. I wasn't going to try and convince him to listen to me. The last thing I wanted was to push him away, so I was going to give him the space he needed for now.

I checked the time on my phone and saw it was almost two o'clock in the afternoon. I hadn't slept in that late since I was a teenager, but last night made me so exhausted. I couldn't stop crying, I couldn't sleep, I felt sick to my stomach. I felt like Drew would never give me the chance to tell him what really happened and I was worried I'd never hear from him again.

I exited my bedroom, trying to start my day in some way. I would be getting ready for work right now, but after Drew left, Gabe saw how upset I was and he told me not to worry about my shifts this weekend. He insisted that I took the time to try and fix things with Drew, though I had a feeling I wouldn't hear from him in order to fix things.

And just as I thought I would never hear from him, I got a notification on my phone as it sat on the counter of the sink in the bathroom while I stood there brushing my teeth. I didn't hesitate to stop brushing my teeth and I held my toothbrush in my mouth, my lips practically foaming with toothpaste. I picked up my phone and my heart nearly leaped out of my chest once I saw his name.

I opened the notification to our messages and after reaching out to him multiple times last night, I finally got a response.

drewseph💛
Today 2:00PM

I'm coming over in 30 minutes.

I couldn't help but smile at his text, letting me know that he was coming over. He was actually coming here and I was going to get the chance to explain myself.

I answered Drew with a simple 'okay' and put my phone back on the counter. I went back to brushing my teeth and once I was done, I began washing my face. My face looked exhausted, I had bags under my eyes and they were red and puffy. I certainly did not look presentable for Drew to come over.