🌺 CHAPTER THIRTY ONE 🌺

Start from the beginning

"I do have a best friend, but sorry, that person's not you" I answered.

"No, I am. Why don't you remember?" She asked, frustrated.

"Because we're not friends to begin with" I scoffed.

She reached for something in her skirt pocket and opened it, showing me a picture.

"Do you remember?" She asked.

"Am I supposed to remember anything?" I asked. "Who're those?".

"You" She said pointing at the smiling girl wearing a red hair band in a sand pit.

"And me" She said and pointed at the other girl making a sand castle.

Suddenly, flashes of unclear images played in my head.

"Hello! What's your name?".

"E..van."

"Hi, Mr. Grumpy pants!"

.
"You can trust me, Evan. That's why I'm your friend.".

"Why?"

"Bipolar whatever's stupid! I'm not like those other kids that left you cos of that. I choose who I wanna play with, what's the big deal about friendship anyway?".

.
"I promise that if I we ever move apart, which is not possible, I'll never forget you guys. Now you guys should say it."

.
"You're taking a huge risk befriending us, Ejiro, dad doesn't like you, I've seen him.".

"He's not the one I like to hang out with, is he? So I don't care."

"Sometimes I get scared that when we separate, I'll never see you again."

"Sharon, we have a looooong way to go before we become adults like mummy and daddy, plus, I told mummy that she should take me to the same secondary school and university as you guys. I've planned everything! Don't worry.".

I opened my eyes slowly and stared at the first thing I saw, the ceiling as tears streamed down my cheeks. I turned around and screamed into the pillow.

"I forgot them. I left them, I broke my promise and treated them so badly, especially Sharon." I sobbed. "I'm such a bad friend.".

I stood up from the bed and walked towards the door. Then, pushed it open and walked out of the room as I wiped away my tears. I walked to the door of Jomafu & Jokpa's room, and knocked on it, waiting patiently for them to let me in.

"Come in!" I heard Jokpa say from the other end. I pushed the door open, walked into the room and plopped myself on Jomafu's bed.

"You're finally awake. How do you feel now?" Jokpa asked pulling his gaze away from his phone screen and resting it on me.

"I'm fine. Very fine. Can I ask you guys something?" I asked hastily.

"Sure." Jomafu answered.

"Can you do me a favor?" I asked again.

"Depends." Jokpa shrugged.

"Please. I need you guy's help." I said.

Jokpa rolled his eyes at me and let out a sigh. "What's the favor.

I beamed and cleared my throat, then, I told them all that Sharon had told me about Evan, although I didn't know why their father would lock him up in the first place.

"Wow!" Jokpa said. "Wait! Isn't she the girl that you had a fight with at the beginning of school?".

I nodded in reply.