Chapter 3

'Dearest cousin'

It seems that this is farewell for now. Don't get your hopes up in seeing us for at least another few decades. You know that it takes immense effort to track us down, especially with the help of our shifter friends.

Bella

===========================

Time soon flew by, and Lucian's relationships with the members of the Cullen coven deepened immensely, even though their time together had been short.

Finally, it was Bella's fated 18th birthday. The day she would later say everything had gone wrong. Honestly, Lucian felt like it was a good thing he was leaving for a while. He could see the obsession in her eyes when she looked at Edward, it was unhealthy and needed to be doused. As annoying as she may be, Lucian did not wish for his cousin to go down the path of fanatical love.

The day was spent like any other, both of them at the Cullens house, enjoying a calm morning until it was time to give Bella her presents. Lucian could hardly wait for the plot to get started.

" You first, Rosalie." Alice giddily handed over the present to her, who snatched it before shoving it at Bella.

" It's a necklace," Rosalie stated awkwardly. " Alice picked it out."

" Thanks."

Lucian went next, handing over a small box which Bella accepted wearily.

She opened it with caution, gasping at the sight of the expensive-looking bracelet nestled inside. Bella's head snapped to the side to stare with shock at her cousin. After the way she had treated him all their life, he still would gift her something like this?

" It's only something small, but you having this will make us less worried about you. It has a protection spell woven into it, which will react if you are ever in danger." He explained to her as she slides it on her wrist, giving him a grateful look.

" Ooh, how fancy!" Alice says as she yanks Edward closer to Bella. " Show me the love." She croons, snapping a quick photo before dashing off to grab another box. "This one is from Emmett."

Bella shakes said box, but frows in confusion when it seems empty.

"Already installed it in your truck. Finally, a decent sound system for that piece of crap-"

"Hey, don't, don't hate the truck." Bella chuckles as Alice comes skipping over.

" Open Esme and Carlisles."

" Just a little something to brighten your day"

" You've been looking rather pale lately," Esme comments as Bella begins to tear off the wrapping paper.

"Ouch!" Bella holds up her finger, huffing. "Paper cut." She explains dismissively.

It's as if time slows down. Lucian gets ready to intervene if needed as he sees Edward and Jasper lock gazes.

It happens before he can react.

Jasper charges at Bella, being caught by his brothers as she gets knocked to the side, setting off the protection charm. It stops Bella from getting injured as she had originally, but the damage had already been done.

Edward and his family had left last night, leaving behind a depressed Bella and an anxious Lucian. The events of the book were now underway, and there was nothing he could do to halt them.

Bella had been moping around the house ever since, acting as if she was a ghost.

Lucian did understand, your loved one leaving you is heartbreaking, but his only experience with love was from his wife in his previous life. They were together for over 60 years when she had died at the age of 88.