The Third Task

June 24th had approached much faster than we would have liked. Evening time rose quickly and this was it. Time for the last and final task of the tournament. I was bloody glad to have it almost be over, but that meant, I still had to survive the final task. I didn't care what place I came in, just that I finished, alongside my brother, that we were alive and okay. As I headed down to the match, rather than hiding and scaring the daylight's out of me, my newfound friend, Draco Malfoy waited. He gestured his head to the side and I followed him. We stopped beside the medical tent and looked at each other.

"Well, this is it. Final task." Draco said obviously.

"Yep. Now, just to pass it and come back alive this time." I joked, but he only glared at me. "Okay, sorry. Still to soon."

"Please, be careful this time, Vi." Draco said softly.

"I will. Can't make make an promises, though. And Draco, should something go wrong, keep an eye on Moody." I asked pleadingly and he looked at me with a raised brow.

"That tosspot? Why?" He scoffed.

"Because, I've noticed something off about him, more so that usual. Just, please, if something should happen go to Dumbledore straight away." I whispered firmly. Draco reluctantly nodded, even with a small roll of his eyes. I gave him a quick hug and walked into the tent beside the arena.

The stands were filed with students, cheering loudly, holding up their handmade signs, sporting their favorite Champions names. Music filled the air. Ron and Hermione came down by the champions and gave each of us hugs and/or a handshake, wishing us luck during the task.

"Good luck, Liv. Come back to me this time, would yeah?" Ron joked and I chuckled, lightly punching his arm playfully.

"I'll do my best. Be prepared to save me, though" I winked and Ron blushed.

"I-I, uh, w-wouldn't miss the chance." Ron stuttered nervously and he hugged me. "Liv, there's something I think I should tell you. You asked me before, about my feelings... and I..."

"Champions! Champions, gather round!" Dumbledore called out.

"Keep that thought, Ronald. And tell me after I've finished." I gave him a soft smile and pulled away from him.

His cheeks and ears pinked, giving me a nod and then heading up into the stands. We entered the bottom of the arena, Harry and I walked in together, looking around worriedly.

"Sonorus!" Dumbledore called out, silencing the crowds. "Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze! Only he knows it's exact position. Now, as Mr. Diggory..." Dumbledore said and the fans for Cedric cheered loudly. "Mr. Potter." Harry's fans stood up and cheered loudly. "And Miss Potter." The crowds screamed and cheered loudly once more. Harry and I both appeared to have a lot more fans this time around. "Are all tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Mr. Krum and Miss Delacour. First person to touch the cup will be the winner!"

The crowds cheered for each champion and Dumbledore gave them a moment to celebrate.

"I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should at any point a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants!" Dumbledore shouted as he turned to see us. "Gather round, quickly! In the maze," He spoke hushedly. "You'll find no Dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead, you'll face something even more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh, find the cup if you can. But be very wary. You could just lose yourselves along the way."

Dumbledore's grim warning sent slight shivers up my spine. He walked away from our huddled group and to the three entrenches into the maze.

"Champions! Prepare yourself!"