79(Part II): The Fear Was My Reality

Start from the beginning

Derrek locked his phone and placed it in his pocket, then, he took my hand in his, lightly brushing his thumb over my knuckles.

"I'm sorry, I was going to tell you but-"

"You're leaving again?"

"I have to. I haven't finished sorting everything with my dad and the company. It's vital I do as soon as possible so I can be completely free of him." He explained and I gave a sigh, slightly annoyed that he had to leave when he had only been back a week.

"How long will you be gone this time?" I asked and he stayed silent for a moment. I didn't like the way he was quiet. "Derrek, answer me."

"I don't know really. It might be a while."

"A while? Why? Isn't it just to turn down the position? Why didn't you just do that last time?"

"Things are more complicated than that, Tiara. I didn't want to say anything before because of the accident and the court hearing but my father is threatening to cut off the entire family's funds if I don't come back to work for him. He's completely cut off the twins and as much as I can survive without his money, I can't afford to pay the twins' tuition and living expenses at the moment. My father's a stubborn man and I do not want my sisters to suffer because of his pride."

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say to this. I had, had this fear at the back of my mind for a while since I started dating Derrek and now, the fear was my reality. If Derrek compromised to save his sisters, he was going to have to move back to England, thousands of miles away from me.

"Is that why you didn't tell me?" I looked down at the grass as I felt tears well up in my eyes. "You're not sure you're coming back, are you? You're leaving me."

"No, I'm not leaving you." He cupped my cheeks, assuring me. "I will find a way around this, I promise."

I bit my lower lip and blinked rapidly to stop the tears from rolling out my eyes. Just when I thought Derrek and I were free to be together without any obstacles, another one showed up. Were we ever going to be happy?

"What if you can't?" I said and I felt an ache in my chest at the thought. I didn't want to loose Derrek.

"I can and I will." He promised, staring deep into my eyes as he spoke. His words sounded so convincing but-

"Your dad is basically asking you to choose between me and your family."

"Tiara-"

"I will not be abandoned again!" I shook my head as tears rolled down my cheeks. I was getting a sense of deja vu. This had happened before.

"I will never abandon you, Tiara." Derrek promised and wrapped his arms around me. "I'll be back before you know it. I promise you."

I felt a lump form in my throat. I had heard those words before.

"Okay." I said, taking in a deep breath in order to calm myself. I reminded myself that Derrek was not Jordan. He was never going to abandon me.

*

I took in a deep breath as Derrek and I stepped out of the car. I had decided to drive him to the airport as I had wanted to spend a little more time with him. He assured me that he wasn't going to stay in England as long as he had the last time, that he was going to get everything sorted out and come back to me.

There was a little voice at the back of my mind that told me that I was never going to see him again but I shook it off.

I had long forgotten about Jordan James but somehow, memories of him and his betrayal had began to flood my mind and I found myself getting angry and worried and I was starting to doubt Derrek.