Chapter 39

"Tch. I thought this room was empty." Mr. Aizawa sighed, rolling his eyes. He turned to leave, but I quickly spoke up.

"Wait." I called out. The man paused, turning to look at me.

"Why did you put me by myself?" I asked, and he sighed again, hesitating. He eventually decided to tell me because he stepped back inside, closing the door.

"I wasn't planning on sharing my reasoning with any of the students, wanting them to figure out their flaws on their own..." He grumbled, scratching the back of his head.

"But, since you are at a slight disadvantage, I might as well tell you." He continued, "While your combat skills are impressive, you don't utilize your Quirk to its fullest extent. Instead, you end up relying on your physical abilities. I didn't want you to end up depending on your partners Quirk instead of your own." He explained, and I looked away. My eyes trailed over to my hands, and I stared at them as they rested on the table. I hesitated before responding.

"My Quirk..." I trialed off, not sure if I should really say this out loud. "It scares me." I admitted. I've never said this to anyone. Why would I choose to tell this to Aizawa of all people?! The man only let out a low hum. He paused before deciding to sit across from me at the table.

"I'm assuming it's because of your parents?" He asked, crossing his arms. I glanced at him before nodding.

"I..." My voice lowered, trying to find the right words. "I don't know why..." My hands tightened into fists as I glared at the table.

"They ruined everything for me. My reputation, my Quirk, my goddamn name." My tone was filled with hate as I talked about my parents for once. "My Quirk is a combination of both my parents. I'm the product of their murders; their crimes. The way they terrorized people, that's inside me." I continued, and Mr. Aizawa stayed silent, letting me speak.

"I... I guess if I use my Quirk too much, I'll become like them. I think I subconsciously avoid using it too much because I fear what it can do, and what it could turn me into." I explained, keeping my eyes trained on my fists as I actually spilled my thoughts.

"Do you want to become a hero?"
Mr. Aizawa's cold voice spoke up, and I finally looked up to meet his gaze.

"More than anything." I replied, clenching my fists tighter.

"Then thinking like that is going to get you nowhere." He stated, and I tensed.

"You're striving to be a hero, not a villain. You need to recognize yourself as good. As a hero. Once you can do that, you can redefine the name Dokujin all you want." He spoke, and my eyes widened. His tone was less harsh than before. It sounded genuine.

"Your Quirk has immense potential. If you can learn to accept it, you have a good chance at becoming a top hero. So stop comparing yourself to your parents, and separate yourself from them." He finished, and I stared at him in surprise. I blinked, composing myself.

"Right. I'll try." I nodded. I didn't realize how much he actually cared for his students, let alone me individually.

"There's something else I've been meaning to ask you about." He sighed, leaning back in his chair. I looked back over at him, raising a brow.

"There's something going on at home. What is it?" He asked, well, more like demanded.

"What? Nothing's going on. I practically live alone." I half lied, but I don't think the man was buying it.

"Don't lie to me." He warned, and I scoffed.

"I'm not." I replied with a shrug.

"Who do you live with?" He asked, and I sighed.