Rubbing at the bridge of her nose, Naruto pulled out her scroll.
"It's very rude to say such a thing about a pregnant woman, your highness. Watch your manners."
"But I didn't-"
"Don't comment if you don't know." Naruto sent him a sharp look. Sasuke huffed, deflating into his chair.

"The Sabakus have entered Amaterasu." Naruto informed, glancing up at Sasuke. "What will you not do when they arrive?"
"Ask if she's fat." Itachi face palmed as Naruto slammed an elbow into Sasukes shoulder.
"Fucking hell!" Sasukes hand flew to his left shoulder.
Naruto sighed. "Why do I even bother?"
"It was a joke," Sasuke snarled, rubbing at his shoulder.
"It wasn't funny." She glared.
"Clearly."

"What will you not do?" Naruto dared to repeat.
"Make a fucking joke." Sasuke breathed.
Naruto lifted her elbow.
"Joking!"
She narrowed her eyes at him. Sasuke curled further into the cushion on the chair.
"I won't open my mouth."
Naruto rolled her eyes. "While that would make this easier, no."
"Than what?" Sasuke threw his hands up. If he couldn't joke, if he couldn't stay silent. Than what was he supposed to do?
Naruto looked down at him, Sasuke daring to think a hint of a frown curved her lips.
"You'll greet them."
He grimaced, "I don't want to."
And like that the imaginary frown was gone and her eyes sharpened severely. "I wasn't asking what you wanted to do."
"You're being mean."
She raised her elbow. "It's a joke!"
Sasuke ducked from the potential blow. All around sighing in disapproval.

~••~

"Their highnesses, Sabaku Temari and her younger brother Kankuro. Along with their general, Gaara." Shisui announced.

The tension in the room was impenetrable. Sasuke sat straighter in his chair as Itachi smiled.
"Welcome." His smile was tight.
Temari curtsied, her own smile kind. "Thank you, your majesty."

Sasuke glanced to Naruto.
The general glanced up, catching his eye. She motioned for him to greet them.

He cleared his throat, feeling quite awkward and hoping his voice didn't match. "It's a pleasure to have you here, your highness."
Temari smiled at him, "It's a pleasure to be here, your highness."
Sasuke nodded, shooting a glance Narutos way. But she was no longer paying attention to him. Instead her chin was tucked, and eyes locked in a staring contest with the Sabakus general.

Itachi broke the silence a moment later, "Naruto?" He called.
"Sai."
The collar commander smiled, stepping forward and lifting a hand. "I will show you to your chambers, your highnesses."
"Please." Temari tucked a wad of her skirt into her hands and turned. Kankuro was quick to follow.

Gaara stayed back, instead making himself comfortable by standing near the shade of the throne room.
Sasuke lifted a brow at his brother in question. Itachi didn't seem aware of his confusion as his, and Izumis attention were on the general.

"Naruto," Itachi called again.
"Shisui could you show General Gaara to the knights quarters? Or perhaps deliver him to her highness."
Shisui nodded, "Of course."

Sasuke watched as Shisui stepped forward. But as he did, so did Gaara.
And than the red-head was in front of Naruto. His chin dipped and head tilted.

"Naruto, it's been a long time."
"I don't believe we've ever truly met." Naruto replied.
"I have you." Gaara reached, going to take Narutos hand but she slipped her arms behind her back.
"Shisui will show you to your temporary quarters, General Gaara. Lunch will soon be served for knights in rotation if you care to join them."
"Will you be there? I believe there is much to talk about."
"I will not." Naruto clipped.

Gaara drew back, his head tilting further. "Than we must find time to talk."

Shisui showed Gaara out, Sasukes brow puckering as the door closed.
"Naruto-"
"Not now." She stopped him.

They sat in silence until Naruto turned minutes later. "What is it, your highness?"
Sasuke looked at her confused. "What was that?"
"What was what?" She asked, stepping up the platform.
"That." He pointed at the door Shisui and Gaara had disappeared through. "Have you ever met him? That General?"
Naruto lifted her chin a bit, quickly shaking her head. "No, not directly."
"He seemed... weird."
Naruto breathed through her nose, nodding in agreement as she came between Itachi and Sasuke. "That's one way to describe him."

Silence stretched.
Itachi turned to Naruto.

"I would like to speak with you Naruto. Privately." Itachi added after a pause.
Naruto nodded.

Itachi stood, and Naruto followed him to the back door.

"You have lessons with Kabuto, your highness." Naruto looked back as she held the door open for Itachi. "Do me a favor and go willingly for once."
The door than closed behind the two. Izumi frowned and sighed before standing.
She looked at Sasuke. "I believe she means now, Sasuke."