Travel safely.

Everyone was silent, my siblings looked at my parents with a fear I recognize from my childhood, a fear that only came out when we fucked up. Badly. My mom was starring daggers into my head and my dad just looked very confused.

"Ma-" I didn't even get to finish my sentence before my mom walked away, headed for our family car. I must admit, I saw that coming. I looked over to my dad with a pleading look and he just looked disappointed.

"Dad, I'm sorry but I want this, I've worked my ass off all my life and you know if I don't go to Italy now, I'll regret it in my 40s when I'm already worked out!" I said hoping he'll understand.

My dad has always loved traveling, that's how met my mom, so of course I assumed my decision would appeal to him. But the look on he's face as I spoke said otherwise. The more I spoke, the angrier he got-well more like hurt- but it left me confused because he knew I loved Italy and I always said I wanted to visit.

"We'll talk about this at home Rumi, but for now just give your mom and I some space please."

I watched him follow my mom, so I was left with my siblings. I faced them slowly, dreading the judgemental looks I was about to receive but was taken by surprise when I saw them all grinning at me.

"Y'all not mad?" I asked in confusion.

"Mad?! Nah you deserve this, we watched you grow up and live your life to impress mom and dad, it's about time you live for yourself."

My brother Leo said.

"And as for mom and dad, we'll talk to them okay, they'll get over it." My sister said with a reassuring smile.

I couldn't help but cry again (okay I guess we emotional today😂)as I hugged my siblings.

"Watashi wa anata-tachi o totemo aishiteimasu" I said as I sniffed away tears.

"We love you too Mimi" They said in unison and of course Maya joined into the wholesome moment.

But it wasn't over yet. The drive home was agonizing, you could smell the tension in the car. No cheers or laughter from earlier, just dead, hostile silence. We arrived home and my mom left the car faster than we could even open the doors, I must admit I felt bad, but not enough to change my mind. I was going to Italy wether or not they agreed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked into the house and was immediately engulfed by the rich smell of Tempura and Yakitori, now don't get it twisted, my mom is fully Japanese and she makes mean meals, but these two dishes had a distinct aroma that only my grandmother could conjure up, so without hesitation I ran into the wide kitchen and immediately spotted my petit grandmother bent over the pots with no clue of my presence

"Sobo!!" I yelled as I hugged her from behind.

"Do not scream in the house Rumi!"
She scolded me playfully in her rich Japanese accent.

"When did you get here, I've missed you so much." I said, still holding on to her. She turned around so I let her go.

"A few hours ago, we would have come to your graduation but I need to make your favourite food before you got home." She said proudly.

My grandmother has always been a proud woman, I remember from my childhood how she would teach me all the stories of mermaids and kitsune myths from her own childhood. When I was 13, on one of my last visits to Japan, she gave me my first kanzashi, which is a traditional Japanese hair pin.

"Is Ojīsan here too?" I asked, eager to see my grandfather.

"Yes in the garden with your other grandparents, and please tell Lee-Ann to get her behind here! Her greens are making funny noises."