Courage and drive (1)

Začít od začátku

Hearing this, Taehyung could not help asking, "What happened next?"

"Then, I realized that I've misunderstood ice hockey all those while. Rather than skills, the key to this sport is courage. It's a test of whether you have the guts to dive into the game at the speed of 45 km per hour. It's not just about facing your opponents. It's also about facing your inner fears and cowardice, about facing yourself. From then on, I changed the way I approached ice hockey and started using body contact myself. It was a difficult process. I was never someone brave by nature. You know that as well." Here, Jungkook's voice lowered. "How weak I was as a child."

"Jungkook..."

Jungkook suddenly raised a finger and pressed it against his lips to stop him from speaking. "Shh..."

Feeling the lightly calloused finger against his lips, Taehyung's heartbeat quickened as he watched Jungkook with blinking eyes.

"I've already left that weak me in the past. The present Jeon Jungkook is a Jeon Jungkook with courage and confidence. Now, let me..." As he spoke, he lifted his hand and rested it on Taehyung's head. His voice was solemn but there was a twinkling smile in his eyes. "Let me pass this Jungkook's courage to you."

The way he carried this out was like a quack. Taehyung had the urge to laugh but was overwhelmed by the soft warmth in his heart.

"From now on, courage is yours. This Taehyung is fearless. Remember, as long as you have the courage, the whole world would give before you."

Taehyung's lips curved. "Okay."

When Jungkook put his hand down, Taehyung saw pink and white petals fall from his shoulders. Curious, he raised his eyes and saw that they were currently standing under a midget crab-apple tree. Flourishing with bold and unrestrained warmth under the street light, thick and heavy clusters of crab-apple blossoms perfumed the air with an intoxicating scent.

In the distance was the back door of the ice stadium. The two of them had walked an entire circle around it.

Against the backdrop of crab-apple blossoms, Jungkook looked down at Taehyung. "I'll give you a hug."

"There's no n..."

He pulled Taehyung into his arms before he could even finish refusing.

After being stunned for a moment, Taehyung's hands crept up and circled his back.

Taehyung's heart pounded furiously. He buried his head into Jungkook's chest, closed his eyes, and luxuriated in the warmth of Jungkook's broad embrace. Sometimes, he needed a hug as well.

"Taehyung," Jungkook whispered his name into his ear.

"Ah?"

"The Kim Taehyung I see will always be dazzling."

Taehyung felt a pang in his heart. Head still buried into Jungkook's chest, he remarked, "That's not a biased statement."

Jungkook's lips quirked. He said, "I'll be waiting for you hereafter the competition tomorrow."

"Sure."

——

When Taehyung returned to the hotel, he saw that Jimin had already been sent back. He scrolled his phone while leaning back on the bed, a pair of crutches beside him.

For some odd reason, Eunji had chosen to put the two of them in the same room despite how they always fought.

Taehyung was in a good mood. He hummed a happy little tune that was off-key as he entered the room. When he entered, he asked Jimin, "Hey, Chim, what are you looking at?"