Chapter 5 - First Day

Isla woke up to her phone alarm going off. It was 6am and she had to get ready for her first day at AlphaTauri. She got up out of bed and stretched while looking out her window that overlooked the interior courtyard. She noticed that Pierre was asleep on a bench. He must have stayed out there last night, Isla thought.

She went out into the kitchen grabbed two cups of coffee and headed down to the courtyard, it was the first day, and Pierre and her weren't on the best of terms. She wanted to try to bury the hatchet and start fresh.

So in her sweatshirt, sweatpants and slippers. She headed downstairs with the cups of coffee in hand. She put them down and gently tapped Pierre on the shoulder. He startled awake, he turned and looked at Isla "Oh, it's you." he said still sleepy.

"It is me, but I did bring you a coffee" Isla said while she chuckled lightly and handed him one of the cups of coffee.

"Oh thanks" Pierre said shocked "I don't think I deserve this" he said

"You don't really, but we have to be civil remember" Isla smiled

"Right, civil," he said with the first small smile Isla had seen from him.

"I was sitting here last night before I ran into you in the lobby" Isla admitted and looked up at the window she saw Pierre in last night

"Oh" his face fell a bit.

"I don't want to pry, but I thought when I saw you here this morning you need a bit of a pick me up" Isla said sympathetically

"What time is it?" he asked swiftly changing the subject

Isla checked her apple watch "6:30am" She said
"Well we have to get ready, we have to be at head to headquarters in half an hour." He said while he stood up.

Isla and Pierre walked to the lobby and took the elevator up to the fifth floor. They walked in comfortable silence and parted ways at their respective doors. Before closing his door he said "thanks for the coffee..." he paused "teammate" and smiled as the door closed

Isla smiled a bit too widely and walked back into her apartment. Where Heather was smiling widely and handed her a brown paper gift bag. "For your first day" she smiled.

"You are always surprising me" Isla laughed and took the bag and opened it. It was a navy and white AlphaTauri Team Jacket. Isla smiled "I can't wait to put this on, I will be quick, I have to go shower and get ready" Isla said as she quickly made her way to the bathroom to get ready for her first day.

She quickly showered, dried her curly hair and threw on some light makeup, to give her the no-makeup look. Then she got dressed in jeans an white tank top and her new team jacket. She grabbed her Canada hat, popped it on and made her way back to meet Heather in the living room.

"All ready!" Isla said as she put her shoes on.

"Great, AlphaTauri has sent a car for all of us" Heather replied and started heading out the door with a big briefcase.

"For all of us?" Isla asked following her out to the hallway to find Pierre waiting outside his door. She made eye contact with him. "Oh nevermind, I figured it out" Isla said to Heather and they all headed down to the street.

A Mercedes SUV pulled up and the driver opened the door. Pierre let the ladies get it first. Heather went to the back row of seats. Placing her briefcase beside her in the back row. Leaving Pierre and Isla to take the two seats in the middle row. They sat down and buckled their seatbelts. The driver let them know that it would be about an hour and a half to get to headquarters.

There was an awkward silence in the car for a couple minutes until Pierre decided to break it.

"Canada?" He asked in his french accent

"Yup, grew up there until I was 8." Isla said

"Interesting, but you raced in England right?" He asked

"Yup we moved when I was 8 so my brother could race in the European circuits, turns out I liked racing too and got started" Isla said with a smile. "So you have heard of me before then?" she chuckled

"You do hear about a female racer who is winning podiums if F2" He replied

"Didn't realize I was even thought of in the F1 paddock" Isla admitted

"Well one guy talks about you a lot" he said as he rolled his eyes.

"Shit" Isla murmured under her breath, which caused Pierre to raise an eyebrow. "I think I know who that is" she continued and looked down at her shoes. "Let me guess..." she said

Pierre just laughed

"It's George Russell isn't it?" She said with a deep sigh

Pierre nodded

"Can I ask what you have heard?" she said sounding worried.

"Basically, we all know that he broke up with you when he made the move from F2 to F1"

Isla let out a loud single "Hah"

Pierre looked intrigued. "So there is some history there"

"You could say that" Isla said with a little chuckle "But for the record he didn't break up with me, that is a huge lie"

"Well I don't want to pry, but I will need that story eventually" Pierre said mocking my tone from earlier that morning

"One day, oh god Rusty Russell is at it again" She said half to herself

Pierre overheard, "Rusty Russel?"

"My friends and I went to school with him back in Norfolk, it was a nickname given to him by my brother... it's a long story"

He laughed, "I'll have to keep that in my back pocket"

They both laughed.

Isla didn't think about the fact she would have to face George in the Paddock. "I'm hoping we can be friends" She said as she turned her head towards Pierre "Being the only female driver in the paddock will be a bit intimidating. I would like to rely on my teammate" she said, looking at Pierre in the eyes intently.

He held his hand out for Isla to shake, she extended hers they made eye contact "Friends" he said as he smiled and shook her hand.

Just then Heather stuck her head into their row from the back "Hey Isla, here is the headquarters" She pointed out the window on her side. They pulled up to the front of the building and the driver opened the door for the group to get out.

Isla's first day was finally here. She was excited as she stepped out of the van and was welcomed by what seemed to be the entire staff standing in the Lobby of the building. They had welcome Rowley team signs and other variations. Isla smiled from ear to ear "I finally made it" she whispered to herself.