1 - Natsunagi (Revised)

Kanaf Kazuki

Kanaf Kazuki

I sat along the same ocean during the night. I had once again escaped my 'orphanage' enjoying the breeze of the ocean despite not being able to see it. I sat there letting my toes get lost in the sand and lose myself in the atmosphere until a voice called me.

"Hey. What are you doing out here?"

I was greeted with a girl with long black hair and a hospital gown around my age. Her deep red eyes were different my orange ones, yet I think I found them beautiful all the same.

"Enjoying the ocean obviously. What you dumb or something?"

"Even though you can't see it?"

"Yup exactly there's still much to see. It's not like we can come during the day, I'm sure you're aware of that?"

"Yeah... hey, what's your name? Do you have one?"

"Yeah, before I was moved here. I managed to recall it again. Kanaf... Kanaf Kazuki. What about you?"

I patted the sand next to me and she slowly sat down with me and gazed out to the ocean her eyes shining under the moon being unable to hide her smile. That scene warmed my heart and I couldn't help but smile aswell.

"I don't have one, they call me 062 though..."

She looked down in disappointment realizing she didn't have a real name but her number assigned to her.

"Hey, do you like the ocean even if this is all you see right now?"

She looked at the water and moon as it reflected in that clear water feeling around the sand before looking at me again.

"Yeah. I love it!"

Her smile seemed to brighten up this dreary weather and made the world outside that I've seen for so long seem to brighten as if the sun was beaming on us. My body became hot and I started to lightly laugh.

"W-what's so funny!?"

"No no it's nothing. Since you love it then, Nagisa. I'll call you Nagisa how's that?"

She seemed to stop for a moment before smiling brightly but with a feeling I couldn't distinguish before she lunged at me full force.

We would start to spend nights together enjoying the ocean and each other's company, she had a heart problem and needed a donor. I offered mine once but she didn't come for two days after I said that. We made up after that but even then at some point she stopped coming. I continued to go even though I knew she wouldn't be there waiting for her to appear before me again with a smile.