Babysitting

(Unedited, gotta go)

Sam-

The next morning was hectic... For me at least. Richard seemed to already have a rhythm down and moved through it seamlessly, even when he had to changed my pup an extra time. I wished I could help with breakfast or dishes or something, but I was having a hard enough time just managing to walk in a straight line. When I finally got myself into the kitchen and sat down against the cabinets there was a plate being moved in front of my face. It surprised me enough to let a quiet growl escape, but I ignored it and took the plate so that Richard didn't misunderstand.

He smiled, making me relax further as I blew on the food to cool it, then handed off little pinches of egg and bacon to my boy. He was back in his human form in a clean diaper and shorts. I still had on what he'd given me yesterday. It was comfortable, which was odd after being a dog for so long. I didn't think I'd like the feel of clothing on me again.

We were about halfway through the plate of food when I noticed Richard walking over and looked up just in time to see his hand come down and pat my head. My canine instincts took over, but not in the way I expected them to. Instead of biting or growling, I nudged my head into his hand, seeking the attention it gave. When I actually realized what I was doing I bristled and growled, making the hand retract as Richard figured out I might bite.

Instead of laughing like I thought he might, he actually gave my boy a gentle pat and then stood back up.

"I've got to head out. Remember, if there's anything you need, don't hesitate to call me." He said before walking out of the kitchen. I wanted to say something back but didn't trust my vocabulary... and had no idea what I wanted to say in the first place. So, I kept my mouth shut as I listened to his footsteps near the door, then stop as little ones ran over. There was a quiet conversation I couldn't hear, then a pat on the back before the door closed and locked.

I could hear her coming after Richard left, but when his daughter walked around the corner and chanced a smile at me, I couldn't stop myself from baring my teeth and growling. She froze immediately, and I felt like crap for scaring her seconds after her father left her here, trusting her to me.

Stupid move.

My eyes followed her movements as she sat down awkwardly a few feet away by the door.

"I'm sorry, Sam." She whispered, hugging her knees against her chest.

Dammit.

Why had I said that I could take care of his cub? I could barely take care of my own pup in my human form, and now I was responsible for a bear cub that I couldn't even tolerate near my boy?

It was frustrating. Not being able to walk well was frustrating. Being so useless.

Shaking my head harshly, I set the remainder of the food aside, letting Coda nibble at it as I turned and used the cabinets to help myself get up onto my knees. That part was pretty easy, but when I looked up, my determination began to crumble. It had taken so long to walk to the darn kitchen this morning after I used the bathroom. I knew males normally stood, but I couldn't keep my balance enough and it was honestly humiliating to have to sit.

You can do this. Just stand up.

Even though it was such a simple thing I used to be able to do all the time, it took me a good five minutes to get to my feet. The counter had to help me stay up once I was there, making me get even more annoyed.

"Sam?"

Looking down, I noticed Jessica holding out a small walking cane to me. I noticed it looked almost brand new as I reached out and grabbed it. The color was a swirl of dark green and reds. It really was quite beautiful for such a basic item, but I was thankful to have it, my ego be damned. I got myself stabilized with the cane surprisingly well with the cane, then grinned down at Jess.