Sasuke looked up at Naruto, nearly speechless. She stared back. The loose hairs of her blonde hair curling around the edges of her cheek.

"Arguing on this matter will be fruitless." She went on when Sasuke did not say anything. "When the list of ladies is complete, Shisui and I will send letters to the selected families. Those who accept will come, and you will have to choose a wife by winter."
Choking, Sasuke found the echo of his voice. "And if I don't?" He dared to look between Naruto and Itachi.
"Than I will." Itachi said.
Sasuke furrowed his brow, a crease becoming visible. He looked back up at Naruto, then at his brother.
"When Okaa-chan and Oji-san died, brother. You had said I would be able to make the decisions in my life - that you would not stop me with whatever I wanted to do."
Itachi went to answer, but it was Izumi who spoke. "Yes, and by letting you choose a bride. He is keeping that promise."
"I wasn't talking to you."
"Sasuke." He glared up at Naruto, ignoring the harshness of her tone.

Standing, he easily towered over her. "And no one's asking you. Marriage? I never agreed to such a ridiculous thing - not now and not when those.. women come. Marriage is the last thing I ever want in my fucking life."
"As I said-"
"I know what you said," Sasuke snarled.
Naruto narrowed her eyes. "Not if you think interrupting me is a smart way to go about this."
"Yes, because we all know you'll throw me across the table." Sarcasm dripped from his tone. Pushing against Narutos shoulder, Sasuke left the dining hall. Leaving the four of them at the head of the table.

Taking a breath, Naruto walked to Itachis side and lifted her hand. Smacking Itachis head, Naruto effectively shrugged off her anger.

"Ow! What was that for?!" Itachi felt his head, quickly taking his fingers back when the throbbing intensified.
"That's for not warning me." She glared, "And for putting me in that uncomfortable situation."

Turning from his majesty, Naruto left the dining hall in search of the second prince. Izumi frowned, touching the top of her husband's head delicately.

"She got you good."
Shisui sighed, rubbing his forehead as Itachi hissed when Izumi applied pressure.

Outside in the back of the garden, Naruto walked over a bridge of a small creak before coming to the open white-painted gazebo.
Sasuke sat between two of the benches, a spot he's fancied since a child. He looked up, instantly glaring at Naruto as she sat on the bench to his right.

"Don't start trying to convince me. I'm not listening."
"When do you ever listen to me?"
Sasuke couldn't argue with that.

Sighing, Naruto leaned on the painted bars, allowing her ankles to cross. Sasuke looked back at his knees that were currently tucked to his chest loosely.

"I didn't know about Itachis' impromptu decision about the marriage."
Sasuke snorted, finding it humorless. "I doubt that."
"It's nice to know you think so highly of me."
Sasuke scoffed.
Naruto ignored him, "Why don't you want to marry? I would've thought having an excuse to have sex without going under my nose would be appealing to you."
"Marriage is commitment."
She raised an eyebrow. When Sasuke looked up at her, he rolled his eyes.
"People expect you to be loyal when you marry. Only to be with that one person."
"Not with you." Naruto didn't miss a beat. "Your the king of whores."
"If this is supposed to be a peptalk, your losing my participation."
"There are many kings and princes in the past that have had consorts when married. Though you seem to have a lack of taste-" "Hey." "The only thing anyone cares about is your producing a crown prince or two. Anything else you do is my problem."
"You really suck at this."
Naruto sighed. Standing, she turned to look at Sasuke, "I'm not trying to convince you, your highness. You have a duty. The marriage is simply to paint the picture of union. All anyone truly cares for is a crown prince."
"That's Itachis duty."
"You know full well his majesty will never allow another in his bed with her majesty by his side."
"What about Izumi?"
Naruto rose a brow at him. "Your highness you know her majesty can not bear children."
Sasukes shoulders slumped. He'd forgotten about that.

"I don't want to be a father of a child Naruto. I'd rather sell the kingdom away."
Naruto nodded. "Of course. I'm sure Sunagakure will be glad to hear that."
Sasuke frowned, "Sunagakure?"
"Yes. Last I heard, their king is quite restless nowadays. With Konohagakure willing to sell their land, I can only imagine how he'd react... especially with the incident between your parents and him-"
"I get it!"
Naruto looked back at Sasuke. "Are you sure? I do have the power-"
"No.. It's," Sasuke sighed. "Don't bother."
"Don't bother what, your highness? Sending the letters out or telling Itachi you'd rather give away our land?"
"The second."
Naruto nodded. "So I will send out the letters."
He nodded.
"Alright, then I must go. Don't wallow too long. I would hate to hear you weeping."

"I don't cry!" Sasuke yelled a moment later when Narutos words caught up to him.
She merely waved a hand, already disappearing behind the old willow tree. Slumping back against the white-painted bars, Sasuke sighed. This wasn't supposed to be his job.