"Caspian has been a crucial part of your life. I don't blame you for.. loving.. him. I hate him, but I can understand it better now that I've seen what you dealt with." It was an odd sense of understanding, a part of me that wished to reassure him more than I wanted to spiral into the abyss of him ever loving someone else. 

I was convinced of him, enough though he'd only told me he cared for Caspian, I knew it as the truth because I knew how much the man loved me. He would walk through fire for me, die for me, and he would do nearly the same for Caspian. Caspian, however, did not win him. I did. 

"I don't love him." Verando's voice is sharp again, the light eyes lock on my face and I reach up to touch his cheek. The stubbled jaw feels so familiar under my hand as I brush my thumb across his cheekbone. My broken warlord, I pull him to me as I knot my hand in the hair at the nape of his neck and kiss him. His eyebrows tighten, pulling down as he wrinkles his nose, "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like I love you?" I ask as lightly as I can, stretching up on my toes to try to alleviate some of the strain on his ribs. 

"Like you feel sorry for me." He responds as I kiss him again, his free hand encircles my waist as I tilt my head to deepen the kiss. I can feel his heart pounding under my fingers as my other hand rests on his chest, the tension in his muscles rippling under my fingers, the heat radiating off his body. "I much prefer when you call me an ass and tell me to get over it."

Smirking, I claim his mouth, only to break the kiss and meet his gaze. I can see the conflict in his eyes, wanting so badly to smooth the tension between his eyebrows. "Even if it doesn't please everyone, don't forget who you are. I'll never pretend to understand what has gone on between you two but I'm never going to stop loving you, no matter what you decide to do with Caspian. I love you because you can be insufferably noble." I tease, capturing his lower lip in my teeth.

The low growl in his throat horrifies me to my core and I freeze against him, only for him to pause and curse under his breath. "Sorry, darling."

"It's alright, I'm just still.. seeing... you chopping off Caspian's hand." Kissing him once more, I pull him to me. "I also hate seeing you in pain."

"Yet you keep bending me to your height." He accuses, voice rough as I grin against his lips. Verando takes control, kissing me slowly, savoring the moment. I'm breathless as he sighs, straightening. "What?"

At first, I think he's talking to me, but I see the younger version of my husband standing at the entrance to the kitchen. He's conflicted as he scans over us, uncertain about how he feels about seeing us like this I'm sure. "Can I talk to you?"

It's a glimpse of my husband, his tone was strong, his stance not that of a scrawny youth just trying to get by. 

"No."

I elbow the man, rolling my eyes at him as he flinches. "Asshole."

Randy stiffens, squaring his shoulders. "I know you don't want to help me, that you don't want to tell me anything, but I think I have the right to some answers. The past is already being changed, and if this is my future, you'll be hard-pressed to convince me not to do everything in my power to change it. I... " He shudders, taking a step back. "I never wanted to become like this, you look just like father..."

Verando snarls, flashing his teeth. "Don't compare me to him-" Freezing, he flinches, bracing himself against the counter to cough and I'm shocked to see the fresh blood trickling down his chin. "Damn it."

"Sit down." I demand the man, shoving him towards the island to force him onto one of the stools. Checking his eyes, I assure myself they're both still the same icy blue. "The past is already messed up, he deserves some answers."