Skirting around the edge of the dance floor, where numerous couples were already sweeping along to the music in a flurry of skirts and silks, Jane led me up to the dais at the back of the room, were Frigga, Odin, Thor, and his warriors were already waiting. While Jane greeted her family and friends warmly, I stood awkwardly in the background, only politely thanking those who commented on 'how lovely I look tonight'.

My silence was caused not only because of my rising nerves of being here tonight, but also because this was the first time I had been close to Odin since his sentencing. Although he was still his usual, stoic self, he did not give me any sign to believe that I was unwelcome here, and I was starting to think that perhaps he was always this stone-faced, as I was sure that I had never seen him more than slightly amused.

After everyone had greeted one another, Odin began his welcome announcement in his loud, commanding voice, while the party guests all stopped to politely listen. Except for me, who was barely listening to a word he was saying. I was too busy glancing around the throng of guests, searching for the all too familiar face. My traitorous body had become so accustomed to his presence and unwanted touch that I immediately knew when he was in the near vicinity, even if I hadn't laid eyes on him yet. And then, finally, my watchful gaze snagged on his shadowed figure lurking in the background, his features almost indistinguishable in the gloom, although I knew without a doubt that he was wearing his usual, condescending smirk.

I could feel his eyes watching me, boring into me with their intensity as I stood rigidly on the spot, my body becoming tense with the strength of the threat that was inevitably going to be pursued by the end of the night.

Suddenly, my concentrated gaze on Fiske was broken by the roar of applause, and my eyes snapped up to Odin, who had finished his toast, and was now drinking heartily from his cup. Smiling weakly, I clapped along with the rest of the guests, but when my eyes searched for my predator again he had moved from his leaning position on the wall and was now making his way across the room towards me as the music started up again and guests paired up for the next dance.

His gaze was fixed on mine as he slowly drifted through the crowd, his movements perfectly calculated and his dark eyes filled with malevolent promise.

Breaking my gaze from his, my eyes frantically searched the rest of the room for the only man I knew would protect me, but the Trickster was nowhere in sight, and my heart sank for more reasons than one. Perhaps he had decided not to come tonight. Woe betide me if that was true.

When my attention was returned to the approaching figure of Fiske, I had to duck my head and take a deep breath to stop my nerves from overloading, and simply stood silently as he politely greeted the Royal Family. Of course, being a high-ranking councilman and Captain of the Royal Guard, he was well respected among the royalty, which only made matters worse for me. Peeking up from beneath my lashes, I watched with disgust as he joked with Thor and his warriors, laughing heartily and making polite conversation. Finally, as if he hadn't noticed me before, he fixed his attention on me.

Knowing that everyone was still watching him, he put on his usual act and let his eyes glaze past me, and then refocus sharply, his face setting in a mask of shock. It was all just a game to him, and he was the best player here.

"Alva? My goodness, I barely recognised you." He commented, stepping closer and speaking loud enough for all those gathered to hear. Bowing courteously, he held out his hand to me, looking down at me with an almost unnoticeable smile, meant only for me, "Would you honour me with this dance?"

I froze, although my outward appearance stayed calm and collected. Taking a deep breath, I smiled pleasantly and placed my hand in his. Two can play at this game.