Chapter 26

Off in the forest, Branch walked over stones and under branches as he held Gary in his hands, the little blue troll looking down at his remote control son as he spoke to him...

"So... what do we do while we wait for Poppy, Gar?" he asked before pausing to 'listen' to Gary's answer. "What? No, we're not going home. I'm not just gonna leave Poppy here." He paused, 'listening'... "I really don't care if you're bored. I'm not leaving Poppy, and that's that."

     Another short silence and Branch sighed, stopping in place as he looked down at Gary in slight anger

     "Well... yeah, Gary. Of course I've noticed her mom is crazy..." he groaned, the little pop troll rolling his eyes in annoyance. "But I'm still not..."

     But Branch's sentence was quickly cut off by Gary beginning to speak yet again, the young boy seeming to get nervous as he listened to the remote control's 'words'...

     "Y... yes... her mom dose want to... to kill me..." he stuttered nervously, his voice beginning to tremble in fear. "And I would be safer at home... in my heavily fortified danger proof survival bunker... And... and..."

     Realizing what Gary was doing, Branch quickly paused, cutting off his own statement as the young troll shook his head to push away the horrifying thoughts swirling through it...

     "But I'm still not leaving without Poppy!" he finally yelled firmly, the little blue troll glaring down at his remote control son. "And she wants to be here... so I'm staying with her... no matter what..."

Again he paused, the young boy rolling his eyes in anger as he 'listened' to Gary's argument...

"Because I love her Gary!" he yelled. "I'm not making her leave a place she really wants to be, and I'm not leaving without her, so you can just suck it up, and stop being a little..."

Suddenly, a strange sound came to the young boy's ears, Branch pausing his argument to look around himself in a panic...

     'Snap... crackle... pop...'

     The sound was undeniable... it was the crunching noise leaves made when someone walked through them... someone was coming...

Slowly, Branch put Gary back into his hair as the paranoid pop troll looked cautiously around his surroundings...

     "Stay hidden, Gary..." the survivalist whispered softly to his son. "Don't come out no matter what..."

The leaves continued to crack as Branch looked around in a panic, putting himself into full defensive mode...

     There was no way it was Poppy coming to find him... it couldn't be her... the footsteps were far too loud, clearly belonging to a much larger creature than a normal sized pop troll... even worse... the sounds seemed to be coming from every direction... he was surrounded...