Chapter 17

The two trolls struggled up the side of the cliff, Poppy having to push Branch from behind to help him climb, the blue troll having trouble finding safe spots to plant his feet and hands, almost falling off the rocked wall several times...

     He even tried whipping up his hair to use as a grappling hook, but without being able to see what he was aiming at... the young boy just couldn't get the dark blue strands to cling onto anything solid...

Finally, the couple reached the top of the cliff, Poppy quickly climbing up past Branch so she could help him up onto solid ground...

"Here, Branch," the queen of pop said, reaching down for her boyfriend as he clung tightly to the cliff wall he was currently dangling from. "Grab my hand. I'll pull you up."

Branch looked up at the pink blur he knew to be Poppy before reaching out to do as he was told, feeling around aimlessly for the young queen's hand.

Remembering he couldn't fully see her, Poppy reached for his hand instead, instantly grabbing hold of it before yanking the blue pop troll up onto flat land.

"Sorry..." Branch immediately apologized once he was standing safely just in front of the love of his life, feeling bad that she had to help him so much...

"It's ok, Branch," she assured, gently kissing her boyfriend's cheek. "It's not your fault. Besides... I'm always happy to help. I'm Poppy, remember?"

Branch couldn't help but chuckle softly at his girlfriend's words, Poppy giving him one last kind smile before turning to look at the river that was flowing rapidly right behind them...

How was Branch ever going to get across that when he couldn't see? Poppy would just have to think of another plan...

"Branch?" she started, turning back to the little blue troll behind her. "You said there was a way around the river if we go through the mountains, right?"

The survivalist nodded in response to the question before quickly pulling the map out of his hair, raising the paper so that it was being held right up in front of his face as he squinted his eyes, trying his best to read it.

     But

     But... because of his vision being all wonky for some unknown reason... all the young boy saw was pure blackness...

"Here..." Poppy said, gently taking the map from the blue pop troll as she saw him struggling to read out the directions. "Let me look..."

She looked at the map, seeing the path they needed to take to get around the mountains. It was just so far... she didn't know how they would ever make it...

Slowly, her gaze turned to the big red ❌ marking the spot where her mother was...

It was a lot closer than home was... And the terrain seemed smoother and much safer... especially for Branch and the condition he was currently in...

     Should she ask Branch what he thought they should do? She kinda already knew what his answer would be... he would say to keep moving forwards... to find her mom... but that response was purely based on her... he wouldn't be thinking about himself... about his safety... what was best for him... he never thought about himself... he only cared about her... her safety... her happiness...

Slowly, the queen of pop looked up at Branch who was now rubbing his eyes again, trying desperately to clear his vision...

"Branch?" she questioned, the young boy instantly looking up at the sound of her voice, staring straight at the pink blur that was Poppy...

     Why couldn't he just see her!? Like... actually see her!?

Finally, Branch sighed, looking away yet again from the troll he cared so much about, his ears drooping down in shame...

"I'm... I'm just putting you in danger..." he mumbled softly, his eyes slowly falling shut in despair... "You're better off without me..."

     "What? No, Branch... Don't say that! Don't even think it!" Poppy insisted firmly, placing both her hands on the blue troll's shoulders. "This isn't your fault..."
"But it is..." the survivalist sighed, pulling away from his girlfriend as he turned his back to her. "If I hadn't taken that stupid map... we wouldn't even be here... you would be safe..."

A single tear falling from her eye at how Branch was thinking of himself, the queen of pop rushed back to her boyfriend's side, hugging the saddened troll comfortingly in her arms... a gesture that the former village grump tried to escape but ultimately failed...

"It's not your fault," she repeated in a soft soothing tone. "You were just trying to help me... And how on Earth were you supposed to know this trip would be dangerous? My dad gave you the map... He would never send us on a life threatening journey..."

Branch looked up at the young queen at the sound of her words, his expression full of sorrow...

"Y... yeah..." he sighed under his breath, looking away yet again in shame... "Your dad gave it to me... right..."

Finally, the blue pop troll managed to pull free of the hug, walking forwards just a bit, his head low and ears drooping...

With a sigh, Poppy looked back down at the map... She had to get them both back home... once they were safely back in the village... Branch would be ok... he wouldn't need to worry any more... he could be happy again...

But... home was still so far away... What if whatever was wrong with his eyes became worse in the time it took to finally get him to a doctor? What if... what if it became permanent...

The queen of pop turned back to Branch who was now rubbing his eyes once more...

Secretly... they were now burning, feeling as if someone had just lit his corneas on fire...

The young boy's injuries were indeed getting worse... There wasn't enough time to go the long way... if they were going to get back home... the two trolls would have to go back across the dangerous waters rushing by them...

Slowly, Poppy's gaze turned back to the map...

It actually wasn't that far to the ❌ at all... It was just a little ways up the next hill. But... even if they could get there... there was no way of knowing if they would actually find the young queen's mom... or... if she could help Branch...

With a sigh, not knowing what option to take... Poppy looked up at the sky, the sun slowly beginning to set over the horizon...

It didn't matter which path the two friends were going to take... No matter what... they were going to need to find a shelter to rest in until morning...

Once again... Branch's safety training was actually coming in handy...

"Come this way, Branch," Poppy instructed, gently taking her boyfriend's hand in hers before leading the blind troll forwards.

Branch obviously did as told, walking just behind the pink blur, his head still low in shame...