Chapter 16

"I... can't..." Branch admitted softly, his head low and ears drooping. "I can't see..."

Poppy gasped at those horrifying words, stumbling back as if she were about to pass out from fear...

     "What's wrong?" she finally asked in a completely panicked tone. "Why can't you see, Branch!?"

"I... I don't know..." the survivalist answered softly, slowly raising his head to look back up at her. "I can see your general shape... but... but that's it..."

     "We've got to get you back home," Poppy stated, quickly grabbing hold of her boyfriend's hand to drag him back to the village. "Take you to a doctor..."

"What... no! We... we can't!" Branch yelled out, quickly pulling free of the young queen's grasp, gaining himself a confused look from his girlfriend. "You really want to see your mom again. And... and I... I just can't ruin that for you..."

Poppy could see the sadness in Branch's eyes as she looked right at him, not knowing what to say...

     "Branch... I don't care if I never find my mom..." she finally stated, taking both of Branch's hands gently in her own as she gazed lovingly into his fogged eyes. "As long as I know you're safe..."

     "I'm fine," he assured, still trying to convince the love of his life not to worry about him

     "I'm fine," he assured, still trying to convince the love of his life not to worry about him. "I promise. So I can't see... so what? Loads of people can't see. You deserve to be happy, Poppy... we need to keep going... we need to find your mom..."

     "Branch.." the young queen whispered softly, hugging her arms gently around the stubborn blue pop troll. "It's just not safe..."
"Well going back isn't safe either," the survivalist objected, quickly pulling away from the queen of pop as he tried to look her in the eye. "To get back to the village... we'd have to go across the river again. I couldn't do it when I could see... how am I supposed to do it now!? Not to mention you'd have to cross again too. What if you fell? I don't want you getting hurt, Poppy!"
"And I don't want you getting hurt either, Branch!"

     The young boy flinched at his girlfriend's sudden harsh tone, his eyes widening in shock...

     Seeing the slightly scared look on her boyfriend's face, Poppy sighed, looking away from him in despair...

     "I don't want you getting hurt, Branch..." the young queen muttered under her breath. "If we keep going..." She sighed again before looking back up at him. "It's just not safe..."

Branch looked at the love of his life in pure sorrow as she spoke softly to him. He couldn't see the expression on her face... but he could tell by the sound of her voice, she saw scared... scared for him... just like he was scared for her...

     "Ok..." the survivalist finally sighed, lowering his head in defeat. "We'll go home..."