Chapter Fifty: Sneaking into Lake Town

Thalia stared out across the water as they slowly approached Lake Town, it was foggy and she was surprised that Bard was able to sail across the lake without any problems; she shivered a little before moving to look at the dwarves. 

Balin was busy counting out their payment for the ride as well as the weapons that Bard had promised them; Thalia and Bilbo were the only two who had managed to keep hold of their sword while the rest were defenceless. 

"I don't like him," Dwalin murmured walking past Thalia, he frowned not trusting the human who was helping them; he could betray them at any moment and leave them all for dead. 

Thalia rolled her eyes, she wasn't surprised that the dwarves weren't very trusting of the man; she wrapped her coat around her while Thorin moved to stand closer to her. 

"You don't have to like him... we just have to pay him," Balin murmured with a frown, they were a couple of pieces short of the payment that they had promised Bard; he doubted the man would help them for anything less than what they had agreed. 

Thalia sighed moving away from the group and down the boat, she felt at easy on the water even if it was chilly now; she was sure that the group could sort out their own problems without her. 

Bard watched her curiously, he had no idea why a woman like her would be with these dwarves; they didn't seem to be forcing her to do anything. 

"Why are you with them?" Bard asked making Thalia stop and look at them, she stared for a moment knowing that he didn't buy for a moment that they were going to the Ironhills to visit family. 

"Is there a reason that I shouldn't be?" Thalia asked moving to sit down, she didn't see the point in standing since they had a long way to go; she felt calmed by the water and she doubted that she would find any harm here. 

Thorin eyed Thalia from where he stood while Balin tried to convince Gloin to part with more money which he was hiding from the group. 

"You're a beautiful woman traveling with dwarves alone, some might think that's improper," Bard said leaning back against the back of the boat, he eyed her knowing that she wasn't like any of the women that he knew. 

Thalia raised an eyebrow at him chillingly, she wasn't going to change who she was just to fit in with this world; she was who she was and there was no changing that in her mind. 

"I'm just saying," Bard said nodding at Thalia, he could see that the leader of the dwarves wasn't pleased that he was talking with Thalia; he didn't know why she was with them but he did hope that she knew what she was doing. 

Bilbo moved quietly to sit down next to Thalia, he was nervous about what would happen since they were entering the unknown; it wasn't as if they had a back-up plan if things went wrong while they were in Lake Town. 

"Do you see anything?" Bilbo asked softly, he shivered a little cuddled into Thalia's side while peeking at the dwarves; he wanted to know that everything was going to be okay. 

Thalia closed her eyes, she had a headache and she wasn't sure that she could tell him what he wanted to hear; she would have to lie to make him feel better. 

"It'll be okay Bilbo," Thalia said wanting to reassure the hobbit, she didn't wish to tell him that she couldn't see much and they were barely flashes; the closer they got to the mountain it seemed, the less that she could see. 

***

Thalia stifled a yelp as she was covered in fish, she wrinkled her nose in disgust wondering what Bard had been thinking when he had come up with this plan; she took a deep breath through her mouth to calm herself. 

Thalia grumbled quietly to herself, she didn't want to attract attention and she wasn't sure how long she would need to be in this barrel; she was going to need a serious bath to get rid of the fish stink. 

Thalia wasn't sure how long she had been stuck in her barrel when she suddenly felt the boat stop; she could hear the muffled sounds of Bard talking to someone. 

"Steady Thalia," whispered Poseidon's voice in her head, one wrong move would ruin everything and they needed to get into Lake Town; it wouldn't happen if she moved and she had a feeling that it wouldn't be for long. 

Thalia listened to Bard talk to someone called Alfrid, she had no idea what they were talking about but she had a bad feeling about this man; she had a feeling that he was going to cause them some trouble. 

Thalia squeaked as she felt her barrel being tipped, she closed her eyes and attempted to clutch onto the inside of the barrel hoping not to end up in the water. 

It was only when Bard spoke again that Thalia was suddenly set back, she was still covered in fish but she had not been discovered; she rested back against the side of the barrel until she heard Bard call that it was all clear. 

Thalia slowly pulled herself from the fish, she gagged at the horrible smell before looking around at the company who were all climbing out of their barrels; no one looked pleased with what they had just been through. 

Bard climbed off his boat and was quick to pay off the two men that were witnessing the dwarves pull themselves out of the barrels. 

Thalia climbed out of her barrel and got her bag, she had no intentions of leaving it behind and she was sure that she'd never see it again if she did; she had no idea what might happen if people took her things.

"This way," Bard urged looking around, he had three children to feed and the last thing that they needed was for him to get into more trouble with the Master of Lake-town; it would only end badly for him if he was caught now. 

Thorin looked at Thalia as the company started to follow after Bard, they needed to move quickly and they couldn't waste time standing around. 

"Are you okay?" Thorin asked softly as they followed after the company, he had been concerned when they had been stopped at the gate and he had noticed her barrel had been moved. 

Thalia nodded her head, she smiled a little at Thorin knowing that this wasn't the time to stop and have a chat; they could talk later when they weren't at risk at being caught. 

"Good," Thorin said understanding that they would talk later when they had everything that they needed; he ignored the curious look from Bard before he moved to catch up with Balin. 

Thalia took a deep breath falling in line with Bilbo, she peeked behind her making sure that they hadn't been seen leaving the boat; she paused as she heard a teenager calling out. 

"Da," Bain said rushing towards Bard and the company, he ducked and dodged things before he skidded to his father's side; he had come as soon as he heard that his father was home. 

Bard rested a hand on his son's shoulder, he had left Bain to look after Sigrid and Tilda; he knew that the master didn't like him and he didn't want anything happening to them. 

"There's people watching the house Da," Bain said worrying why this kept happening to them, they had done nothing wrong and yet people were always causing trouble for them. 

Bard frowned before turning to look at the company, he needed to find a way to sneak them into his home without being seen. 

The last thing that he wanted was to be caught, he had children to provide for not that the master of Lake Town would care.