41. Spaces Apart

It was night time. Eden had just finished her evening Maths classes. After school some evenings  she attended extra tuition classes. She had a long commute but it was worth it. Now that her father afforded to pay more assistants at his chemist she didn't go to help her father every night. Instead she could come to extra tuition classes to help her studies. She was attending a prestigious private school on a scholarship and as her senior was approaching she needed to keep her top grades up to get into a good college. So she did not mind coming to attend classes during evenings late into the night a few times a week. However the neighbourhood did not seem very friendly so late at night. As she was walking to her bus stop, there were some drunk people on the streets and she even witnessed a fight. Suddenly a group of guys appeared and started whistling at her and following her. She walked as fast as she could feeling uncomfortable. There were many of them.

As she turned left to lose them she found herself in an alley way. She decided to run as fast as she could. She ran and ran. She found herself face to face with many men in suits who were carrying packages around trucks. She gulped. They looked scary. They had stopped working and had noticed her looking at them.

One who had a clipboard in hand raised an eyebrow "What are you doing on this property?"

She wanted to run away. But as she turned she found herself face to face with a line of bulky men in suits who were looking at her in a serious and threatening way.

The rough voice of the man with the clipboard came "I asked you a question. What are you doing here? This is a private property? Didn't you see the signs that said private road, no entry unless driving an authorised truck? Or are you a spy?"

Eden turned around in shock "A spy? I am not a spy. Some men were following me. I ran here. I am sorry. I will take my leave."

The man said "Not so fast... We will take you to our boss, he will decide if you get to walk away free... You are a trespasser." He turned to two men nearby "You two. Take her to the boss. Now."

Eden said "There is no need. Let me go..."

Two bulky men approached her. One said "Follow or we drag you. Your choice."

Eden sighed and said "I follow."

Eden followed the man and his buddy followed her. She murmured "There is no need to take me to your boss... There is also no need to call the police because I trespassed..."

The man who was leading the way laughed "The police? You have no idea who you are dealing with... The police would be the least of your worries if our boss decides not to believe your little story. Our boss is way above the law..."

Eden felt chills run down her spine and her ray of hope of reasoning with the boss vanished suddenly. Who were these people? Who was this boss? What he had said did not sound good at all? Who was she exactly dealing with.

The men entered the warehouse that was huge. Many packages were piled up all across and more men were around talking or carrying packages. They reached the far end and a set of stairs came in sight. The one leading said "Our boss's office is on top of the stairs. He will decide your fate. It won't be long before you find out the boss's verdict..."

Eden followed the men up the stairs. Two bulky men were standing guarding a door. Her heart was beating fast. She was getting more nervous as the time passed. He had said she was going to get a verdict. As though she was going to be put on trial for a crime.

The man leading the way said "I need to go in to see the boss... Is he in? If not I will have to take him to the underboss on site..."

Eden did not know who would have given her an easier verdict. The boss or underboss. They could not be so different.