1. Family Life

1950s

It was night time. Luigi Alessandrini was walking down the busy New York streets alone. It was a typical Friday night for him. At sixteen years old, he had no curfew unlike most youngsters. His father didn't care where he went and what he did as long as he didn't get himself hurt. There were no rules that applied to him in his family and in this city. He was the only son of Lothario Alessandrini, the head of one of the largest crime families in New York. He was his father's heir and he was well respected and well established. No one dared to bother him or look at him the wrong way in his father's territory. When he crossed the border and left his father's territory still he had respect and authority. No one said no to him. No one insulted him. At that point he was outside his father's territory. He had gone to one of those after school meet ups with his friends and he was now walking back home. His father always used to send body guards with him to accompany him everywhere but Luigi always got away from them or they could never track him. So his father gave up at some point. Besides there was no point. He was more equipped than those body guards to protect himself and also his father's reputation scared the toughest criminals from miles away. No one messed with him.

As Luigi was walking a shop grabbed his attention. The coffee shop had delicious looking Italian pastries behind the shop window. He decided to go to the shop. He entered and the aroma of hot pastry had filled the air. He walked to the counter "Can I have a couple of those pastries boxed to go?". He paid for the pastries and while the server was boxing up the pastries he then heard a familiar laugh. He turned. He saw none on other than his fifteen year old sister, Lena sitting opposite a boy from their school. She had not noticed he was there. But of course the other kid suddenly noticed and gulped.

He heard Lena say "What's wrong? What are you looking at?"

As his sister turned around and looked up, her smile vanished. She was in so much trouble. She was not supposed to be out there with this boy. It was obvious she had sneaked out of the house.

Lena looked worriedly at the boy sitting opposite to her who was as white as a chalk now. His name was Nick Edwards. A wealthy all American boy who's father was a Hollywood Studio's chief executive of some sort. Him and his mother had moved to New York days ago because his mother wanted to be closer to her family. Nick's father was in Los Angeles and attending to business all year round pretty much so this rich kid also had no curfew or rules like Luigi. He was Luigi's age and went to the same school as him and his sister. This boy was clueless about who's daughter he was hanging out with but knew full well that the Alessandrini family were not to be messed with. Luigi had a reputation in school for taking no nonsense. Him and his friends ruled the school. But still this kid obviously had not taken the hint to stay away from his sister when Luigi had warned him to keep away that morning when he had asked Lena out. He looked Terrified though. Luigi had made an impression on him.

Luigi started walking slowly towards their table. His sister quickly stood up and grabbed her bag. She said "Goodbye" quickly and walked to her brother. He stood in his way and said "Luigi. I can explain."

Luigi said "Oh, you will explain... after I teach that kid a lesson." He was about to side step his sister when the server called out after him "Sir, your pastries." He turned around and walked to the counter to get the pastries when he heard his sister whisper "Nick, run for your life."

He rolled his eyes and turned around as he watched Nick run outside through the back door of the shop. Nick was not a coward. Luigi was sure of it. But he was very smart. Nick had understood that there was no way he could take Luigi on no matter how many press ups or star jumps he did as a football player. He could not fight Luigi and win. Luigi was one of the best fighters anyone could come across. Adults stood no chance in a fight against him, never mind kids his age.