Chapter 1

Annalise's POV:

"Oh great. Look who's here." I grumbled.  "Why hello there, Annalise." the boy walked up to me. "You know, I think that's our table." one of his friends said. "Yea! So move or we'll make you move." "It's not your table. And Peter and I were here first. So please leave us alone." Peter was my younger brother. He and I were at his favorite restaurant for his birthday. It was just him and me. I've raised him since our parents died about three years ago. I'm twenty two now, and he just turned sixteen today. "Oh, the little girl wants to be stubborn, eh?" the first boy chuckled. I closed my eyes, wishing I could close my ears. You see, it's complicated between him and me. His name is Roger and....he's my mate.."Can you just leave my sister alone for once, Roger?" my brother asked. "Oh? And what fun would that be?" he chuckled again. Ugh! Why does his laugh have to be so cute! "In fact, I think it's about time she moved. Boys?" he grabbed my hair and pulled. "AH! Please stop!" I begged. "Why should I?" he asked in a haughty tone. "Let. Her. Go." a cold voice said. I turned and looked, as best I could with my stupid mate holding my hair tightly. My brother stood up. He had a serious look on his face. I could tell he was ready to attack. "If you don't let her go and leave her alone, I'll make sure you regret it the rest of your life. And you know I can too. I've been in training with the Alpha's son since I was ten." "Your just a little boy. What could you possibly do to us? Give us a kick in the pants?" one of Roger's friends laughed. "Actually, yes." I stated. "What?" Roger repeated. "You heard me, jerk." I told him. Peter walked up to Roger and gave him a good kick. His trainer says he's a really good student. The Alpha's son and the Alpha himself agrees with him. Alpha Tom told Peter that if he continues to work hard, he may get his dream come true. To be a warrior and defend the pack. "Anyone else need to be taught a lesson?" my brother asked, looking around at the bullies. I had to stifle a laugh at their frightened expressions. "Good. Now, I suggest you leave and not come back until you learn some manners." The boys nodded quickly and left, Roger stumbling away after them. "Thanks, little brother," I smiled. I was holding back tears. "Sis, are you ok? I know Roger's your mate..." I nodded. "I'm alright, Peter. Now, let's finish our dinner so we can go get some ice cream for dessert." "You don't have to tell me twice!" he laughed and began eating. He loved his ice cream.

 The next day, Peter burst through the door. He seemed excited about something. "Annalise, guess what?!" he exclaimed. "What is it?" "I shifted today! During training!" I put the book down that I had been reading. "Wait really?? Congrats, brother!" I smiled at him. "And not only that. I found my mate! She was at training too! Watching her older brother train!" I got up and hugged Peter. "Congratulations, Peter! I'm proud of you..But not only me..I think mom and dad would be proud too." Peter smiled brightly. "Well, little brother? When can I meet the lucky girl?" I asked. "Right now! Story, you can come in now!" he replied. At that moment, a lovely young girl walked into the room. One look and I recognized her as the younger sister of my mate. She always wore her hair in a ponytail on each side or in a braid on each side. She had the same flower clip on that I had given her for her birthday a year after I met Roger. "Miss Annalise, it's nice to see you again.." she said in a nervous voice. She knew I didn't like her brother, so she was probably thinking I wouldn't like her anymore. "Come here, Story, and give me a hug. "Really?" she looked up at me, surprised. "Of course! I missed my little buddy!" she came over and gave me a hug. I hadn't seen her since.....well....in a long time..That was one of the worst days of my entire life.

 *Flashback*

 It was dark and rainy outside the car. I was groggy and had pain throughout my body. "M-mom? D-dad?" I asked. There was no answer. "Mom, dad?! Please wake up!" I begged. I knew what I had to do. I quickly got out of the car and struggled away to get help. But, just as I had flagged down a car, the car I was in, blew up! I turned around, staring at the smoke and flames before me. I was in shock. I couldn't comprehend what was going on. I was in a daze. Everything was a blur. Then, everything became black.

 When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed. The doctor asked me how I felt. I told him I felt ok and quickly asked about my parents. He shook his head and told me he was sorry. He said I was...an orphan...

*Present*

 "Sis? Are you ok?" my brother asked, bringing me out of my flashback. "Y-yes, little brother. I'm ok. How about you bring Story to your room and talk a bit? I'll bring you some lemonade and cookies in a few minutes." "Ok, sis. Come on, flower!" I watched as he held her hand and led her to his room. As I prepared their snack, I could feel tears streaming down my cheeks. Why, Roger? Why?! Wasn't my heart broken enough? "Did you have to shatter it beyond repair?!" I screamed aloud. "Sis?! Are you alright?!" Peter came running out of his room. I only then realized I said that out loud. I nodded, but he didn't believe me. He sat me on the couch and took me in his arms. I cried on my brother's shoulder. He understood what was going on. "I'm alright now, Peter...Thanks.." I mumbled. "Of course. Your my older sister. What are brother's for?" he smiled at me. "Here. Take your snack and go hang out with your mate." I handed him the tray of lemonade and cookies. After he had left, I fingered the mark on my neck. Before our little...situation, we had marked each other. Now, he's probably going out with other girls while I'm still dealing with a broken heart.