16.

"mr wheeler," el tried to say, "seriously, i'll be okay finding a hotel—"

"shut up, we're here," he mumbled as the car came to a stop outside a large house.

her eyes instantly widened and she looked over at him but noticed that he had already got out of his car and was holding the door open for her.

"honey, let speed it up, yeah? we got a meeting in an hour," he tapped his rolex and helped her out of the back of the car.

"this is too much." she said, "is this a mansion!?" she whisper shouted which made him chuckle.

"don't be ridiculous," he fixed his suit and walked towards the house, unlocking it with a card. "i got some people to set the house up for you. the closet has some girl clothes or whatever, i don't fucking know. told them no blueberries though," he told her, "feel free to change anything you want around here. it's yours."

"no, seriously, this is too much," she turned to him and pointed a finger at him, "sir, i can't. i cant owe you so much!"

"you don't got to pay me back," he shrugged, "no one lives here, it's better that someone does." he lied took her to the kitchen, "the maids. they'll clean the house and shit."

"hi, i'm el," she waved and smiled politely, "and i will not be staying here," she turned back to mike.

"give us a moment," he said to the maids who nodded and headed away.

"what's wrong with staying here? you're my assistant, think it's insurance shit." he shrugged as she leaned against the island of the large kitchen.

"i don't want to owe anything like this anymore." she whispered.

it happened once. it won't happen again.

"that's the thing, you don't owe me, el." he said gently, "why do you think you owe me?"

"because that's what men do. fucking lie," she snapped, "you say one thing and the next you're holding it against me." she turned to him.

his eyebrows furrowed, "what the fuck, i won't do that to— is that what he did? is that why you're staying with that fucker?"

"you don't know anything," she gritted through her teeth. "i'm not staying here, i'm sorry," she checked the time on her cracked phone, "i need to go to the store, i'll meet you at the meeting."

"you need to go to the store?" he echoed and she nodded. "yes, they're having a sale. i can buy a weeks worth of groceries."

he raised his eyebrows and she shrugged. "what, it's cheap,"

he exhaled, "what can i do to get you to stay here?"

"why do you want me to stay here this bad is the question, mr wheeler,"

"you have no where to live." he stated.

"and i'll manage," she replied back, not budging a bit as she stood up straighter.

"no you won't," he shook his head and laughed. "i'll give you a week, honey, let see who'll crawl right back to me."

"i don't crawl." she snarled, "sir," she smiled innocently as he grunted under his breath.

"go back to being shy," he muttered, "liked you quiet,"

"don't push my buttons and perhaps i will respect you, sir," she said then turned and exited the kitchen, leaving him standing there.

♥︎

when el bought the fresh chicken and pasta after work, she dreaded going back to that apartment and to see him.