10.

if el could afford a day off, she would.

but she couldn't so here she was at work, with a bucket hat on, some sunglasses and a large sweater and some nice looking pants so she wouldn't get yelled at.

her ass wasn't even in her seat yet when she got called into his office and she stood up quickly and went in with her head low.

"did you need me, sir?" she asked quietly, her hand on the door handle, not daring to walk in further.

"come in," he grumbled, not looking up, "shut the door."

she nodded and shut the door quietly before walking closer.

"the meeting this morning, i need the—" he looked up and he stopped mid sentence, "what's on your neck?"

she placed her hand up to her neck as if she could feel it then covered it up with her hair and the neck of her sweater. "it's nothing,"

he stood up, walking closer towards her which made her move back.

"move," he mumbled and she looked up to meet his eyes, "what?"

"move your hand," he said and she had no choice but to lower her hand.

slowly, he reached for her and moved her hair away along with the the neckline of her sweater.

she tried to hold back her flinch when he touched her but though the movement was small, he noticed.

his scowl hardened when he saw the red and purple bruises coating her neck. "who the fuck did this to you?"

"no one," she moved away from him and covered her neck again.

"i.. if you don't need me for anything.. i'll go work," she mumbled then added quietly, "sir.." she quickly rushed out of the room and went to the bathrooms to hide in one of the stalls.

slowly, she sat down on the ground, pulling her sunglasses off and her hat as she let out a silent cry, not knowing if anyone was in the bathroom.

she covered her mouth, letting her sounds fall into her palm so no one would hear.

with her knees pulled up into her chest, she rested her arms on it and let her head hang forward as she tried to calm herself.

her hand dug into the pocket of her pants and when she pulled out what she wanted, she only stared at it long enough before she aligned the sharp object with her arm.

her eyes closed and she rested her head against the wall as she let out a small breath.

once she realised how long she had been in here, she pulled down her sleeve and made her way out, making sure she looked fine enough.

enough to not be asked about.

♥︎

"ives," mike called out, pressing the button on the phone, "the files, i wanted it ten minutes ago."

when he expected her to come in a minute later and still didn't, he stood up and quickly headed for the door, prepared to go out and yell at her.

"el—" his word stopped when he saw her laying on the table, her hands folded in front of her.

he walked up to her desk, circling it then held his fingers above her pulse to make sure she was fine.

when he did and saw that she was just sleeping, he noticed the cuts and bruises all over her face as well.

taking off his suit jacket, he draped it over her then walked back into his own office.

shutting the door, he dialled lucas's phone number.