I groaned at the sight of Clay, in all of his assholish glory, dressed like he just came from the beach with sunglasses perched on top of his head and a sprite can in his hand. I remember observing that it was in his left hand, which made a few pieces fit together about why his left hook was harder than any punches he threw with his right hand a few days before. Left handed people are automatically scary to me in a fight or sport or anything like that because I grew up with Andy being a lefty, and the angles are just different in a painful way.

"Would you stop trying to fight me, man?" Payton had growled, kneeing me in the side when I resisted his most recent shove toward the center of the pool deck. The tile was a pinkish tan, but I think it might have just been age that turned it that color. The glass roof above us had sun glaring through the window panes and I could feel the heat burning into my scalp. I also almost fell when we came to a stop since my beat up sneakers weren't exactly fit for walking on wet, slippery floors like that.

Payton and Clay dabbed each other up when we finally made it over to him, and I almost considered running while they were distracted, but it ended too quickly for me to make my move. I remember Clay had reached his hand out to me jokingly, like he wanted to shake it and say hey, but then reached higher and snatched the collar of my shirt. He pulled me forward with ease and I slid to a stop in front of him, feeling the nerves in my stomach instantly.

"I see you're still doing the whole makeup thing." He smirked, taking a look at all the areas on my face where I assume he remembered punching. "I don't know what you'd expect. You should be grateful I'm not a fucking snitch." I snapped, gripping onto his hands and trying to pry myself free. "Was that a threat?" Payton laughed from beside us and looked to his friend with amusement. "Take it how you want, I'm just saying." I should have shut myself up then and there, but it's kind of become a trend for my mouth to get me in trouble when I'm around these people.

"Ooh, tough guy here's gonna sick his scary brothers on me again." Clay grinned and narrowed his eyes at me. He was chewing gum and the smell of spearmint overwhelmed my nostrils as our faces were uncomfortably close together in this position. He was towering over me, still unable to mask his malicious smile when he said, "Y'know, if I'm remembering correctly, Grant could barely hold his own against me in the locker room the other day. What makes you think he can do shit to save you?" I ground my teeth together when the words left his mouth. It pissed me off that he knew how to get in my head, talking shit about my brothers would set me off and give him a reason to pound me besides just for the fun of it.

"I never said anything about Grant." I muttered under my breath, trying again to pull out of his grasp before the situation escalated. Payton snickered at my feeble attempts, crossing his arms and watching intently.

"Yeah well who else would you snitch to? Andy? I've been dying for a round two with him anyway, so go right ahead." Instinctively my jaw clenched and I couldn't resist. "I never said I'd go to my brothers. What if I were to tell a teacher or a counselor?" Again, I should have stopped myself but my lips just ran with whatever ran to mind. "If the school board found out I don't think they'd be too happy. You know there's an absolute zero tolerance bullying policy here, don't you Clay? Wouldn't wanna ruin that rich boy reputation of yours." My threats were spineless. There was nothing to back them whatsoever since I'd simply never go through with anything I was saying, but he didn't have to know that. I've come to know a lot about McAllister over the weeks and one piece of important information I've gathered is that his parents are like, seriously strict, and he has some big shoes to fill as the youngest of three successful kids. A record of harassment would definitely keep him out of Yale or wherever the fuck his family legacy is so my comment totally got under his skin.