Chapter 61: Temporary Survival

Dream had woken up earlier that morning to sneak out to the monastery once more, thankful none of the weapons stored over there were damaged. Fixing the mask on his face and packing a few bottles of water, leaving a note (as for George's request) and heading out. The guards had grown used to Dream leaving in the early hours, yet one decided to stop him.

Dream looked at the male under the helmet, recognizing the pale blue eyes in an instant. "Oh, Punz! I didn't think I would see you serving at the main gate," Dream chuckled a bit, the other mirroring the imagined facial expression. "I see you've risen high in the ranks quite rapidly, went from mercenary to royal guard!" Dream watched as Punz's eyes widened and they glanced around frantically. "Dude, did I say something wrong?"

"Oh um- no," the laidback personality returned as he started to turn the other way. "I'm on break right now; you headed out?" Punz asked, Dream nodding eagerly. "Do you mind if I come with you? Purpled is hanging out with some of his friends and I don't feel like going back to my room just yet."

'Crap-' Dream thought to himself, shaking his head. This left him in a predicament that he wasn't sure how to get out of. His voice was still distorted whenever he was possessed, clear enough for Punz to easily tell if something happened. Punz was very trustworthy and did carry secrets from his childhood, but nobody was supposed to know! "Actually-"

"Punz! I've been looking for you!" Punz's younger brother walked up, Punz greeting the boy with a smile. Perhaps he wasn't a little kid, only a year away from being an adult, but Punz treated him as such. "My friends cancelled on me and the other people in the room aren't in there. I don't want to be alone-"

"Okay, c'mon then-" Punz glanced at Dream who only watched as the two siblings walked away. 'Saved...' Dream smiled to himself before walking out the gates and making his way for daily training.

~

Punz Lucertia was a simple person. There was once a time where he cared about nothing more than helping others. After all, that is how most people start off. Most people start off being innocent and carefree; most people start off not needing to concern themselves with their own survival at a young age.

He was told to be the golden child of his parents, Punz was told his parents believed their lives would be filled with wealth and riches after the birth of their first child. Besides, their last name meant wealth and riches... riches that would never arrive. Punz, being the intelligent child he was, knew his parents did not have the best intentions. When the birth of their second child arrived, Purpled Lucertia, Punz already knew something was off and it would be up to him to pick up the pieces of his parents.

"His eyes are purple..." Punz could hear his father grumbling, watching as his mother looked away nervously. Punz had lost their innocence long ago and knew about the sleezy men which slipped into the household while his father was away but a part of them enjoyed when his mother was happy and when she left him alone.

"My family has a gene with purple eyes!" Punz's mother desperately tried to convince her husband, Punz taking this as a cue to take his newborn brother from their mother's arms and stand in the corner of the room.

"You liar!" Their father shouted as he gestured towards the child. "I've met your family, no history of purple eyes! On top of that, my family doesn't have anyone with purple eyes either!"

"Purple eyes are a recessive trait!"

"Nice try, Lucia but I'm not stupid. A quarter of the people on the outskirts of town have purple eyes, don't lie to me!"

"I'm sorry, Osiris! I didn't-" her words were interrupted by a slap across the cheek. Punz found himself staring in shock while trying to get his little brother to stop crying. Punz shook his head and carried the other to their bedroom, sitting on his bed and rocking the child.